Friday, August 29, 2008

Grandpa Old Ears

STREETER ( Rockford ) Mr. Harold R. Streeter, age 82, passed away on Friday morning, August 29, 2008. He was a 1944 graduate of Rockford High School. While home on furlough, Harold and Pauline eloped before he was sent overseas. S/Sgt. Streeter served during WWII in the US Army as a cook in the Philippines and Italy . His marriage to Mrs. Streeter was later sealed in the Mormon Church on December 20, 1963 in Arizona. At his church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Mr. Streeter was ordained as a High Priest on the Stake High Council. If there was a ministry that needed to be done, Mr. Streeter did it. For a time, he and Mrs. Streeter were temple workers in Chicago. For 44 years Mr. Streeter worked as a press operator for General Motors on 36th St., retiring in 1991. He was a gentleman who was a very decent man and a very hard worker. Through out his life he was a Detroit Tiger Fan. He is survived by his wife, the former Pauline Williams whom he married on December 13, 1944; his children, Pamela and David Wadsworth of Grand Rapids, Mark Richard Allen and BJ Streeter of Sugarland, TX, Valerie Lynn and Timothy Mack of Vaughn, MT, and Tamara Leigh and Michael Myckowiak of Grand Rapids; his daughter-in-law, Mrs. Jane Streeter of Rockford; 17 grandchildren; 19 great-grandchildren; his sister-in-law, Mrs. Barbara Armstrong; aunts, Mrs. Mary Carpenter, Mrs. Birdie Sarkees and Mrs. Lillian Atwood; and nieces and nephews and their families. Mr. Streeter was preceded in death by his son, Craig Randolph “Randy” Streeter, his parents, Alger and Elva (Dunn) Streeter; his sisters, Ruth Streeter, and Lila Isberg, and his brother, Carl Streeter.


In all of the memories I have of my Grandpa, I am so thankful to have had him as my own. He was such a GOOD man. He was so caring and loving and I loved him dearly. "Woop there!" he would say and it always made me laugh.


As a kid, some of my favorite memories were going to grandma & grandpa's house. Grandpa would bring out the old green bowl and make the best popcorn you have ever eaten. We would go on lots of walks around Rockford, but always end up at "The Darn" (since Dam is a bad word, right?) I remember going up to the corner store with grandpa where he would buy a soda and sit and talk with "the guys" for a long time. If you ever couldn't find him at home, you knew that is where he was.


He mumbled under his breath, and it wasn't until I was older that I actually paid attention to what he was saying. He was SOOO FUNNY under that breath of his. Mostly, I realized what a genius he was for saying it under his breath, and not when grandma could hear. He wasn't being critical, just funny! Then he would wink at you if he noticed that you were paying attention. :)


When I lived in England, he and grandma came to see me. I had gotten used to driving on the "other" side of the road on tiny windy passageways, and I have never driven slow... Every time he would get in the car he would say, "There she goes! Just like a bat!" and it would crack me up. My grandma was sitting in the back seat and she just couldn't hear very well. We would repeat and repeat what we were saying, and then finally my grandpa would just say something completely different and give me that wink. "Look Pauline- Cows in the ditch." and she would say, "Oh, yeah." and that would be the end of it. :)


As he got older and began to have more problems, he never once refused to play catch, read a book, give a high five, a hug or a kiss to any of my kids. Jaleigh would jump on his lap all the time, and he was always happy to have her there.

I am so thankful that the Lord saw fit for he and my grandma to be together, and for the love and affection they showed us and each other during my whole life. I am glad that he doesn't have to suffer anymore and I can't wait to see him again after this life. I am thankful that he had faith to start us on the path to an eternal life. I know I have the greatest family on earth, and I am so glad that it can continue in heaven too. We love you Grandpa!

11 comments:

Nikki said...

perfect. just perfect. I'm going to try to steal these 2 pictures from you...

Nikki said...

stolen- look for them in the slideshow.

Leanne said...

What a fitting tribute to your Grandpa's memory. He will be missed. He was a very sweet man.

I had forgotten about the corner store trips until you mentioned it! He was there all the time wasn't he?!

I'm sorry for your loss Hol. I'll keep you and the family in my prayers.

Beth Soelberg said...

You do have a wonderful family. And we're all lucky to have the gospel so we know what "happens next."

We're praying for you and your family, "so you won't be too sad," as Helena says.

Andrea said...

That was simply beautiful. I wish I had known him. He sounds a bit like my grandpa, but then maybe all grandpas are a bit alike. You and your family are in our prayers.

rachel said...

Sorry for your loss, Holly. Thank heavens for an eternal perspective.

Love you!

Caity said...

That was a beautiful tribute Holly. How wonderful that he was able to build relationships with your darling children before passing. I'll be thinking of your family.

Dave said...

Sweet memories blog each of you (also Sunny & Nikki) have posted. The stories and tender mercies that have accompanied this event have touched us all. How we are so blessed. How grateful we must be for the love.

Kara DeWildt said...

Dear Holly, you've painted a beautiful portrait for all of us who didn't quite know him that well. All our best to you and you family. And please give my love to your sweet Mom and sisters.

John L and Lorraine said...

Such special memories! What a blessing families are in our lives.

Larry Isberg said...

Hello Holly

I thought this was a wonderful tribute to my aunt and uncle. (My mother was Lila Streeter Isberg.)

As I do the family genealogy I constantly think of Harold and Pauline as modern versions of the generations before them. Alger and Elva, Tom and Susie, and Harmon and Caroline. All raised their families and passed along values that repeat in each generation.

Keep up the good work.

Larry Isberg