Friday, April 24, 2009

Hotel Avery

Nathan grew up in the hospitality business, his family owning a motel, but I don't think he realized he would be "back in business" for a while! Maybe it is the 27 towels that I have in my closet from an amazing family reunion we had at our house this past summer. Maybe I just have a "social fixation" that is never satisfied, but what ever the reason is, we have been very fortunate in the past couple of months to have some great house guests come to stay with us.

First there was Grandma Old Ears. She was fresh out of rehab for a broken hip, so we loaded her up and brought her to our home.


Oh she and jaleigh had soo much fun! Grandma Old Ears would teach Jaleigh such fun things at meal time, like how they could squirt each other by biting down on a fresh grape.

Grandma was supposed to use her walker, but didn't like to. When I would get after her, she would have Jaleigh jump on the walker seat and take her on a ride all through the house.

When grandma would get tired out, Jaleigh would snuggle right up to her and stay there as long as grandma wanted her to. It was so sweet!

I loved the time we were able to spend with Grandma Old Ears. I loved the way Saroya would always ask grandma if she needed anything in her super loud voice (she never talks quietly to Grandma Old Ears!) and would ask Grandma to brush her hair for her. I loved that when Ethan would get home from school with all 11 years of his coolness, he would find grandma and give her a hug (and duck away when grandma's lips came searching for him!). I love that she and Nathan had a big old rib cookoff and the two of them devoured the whole thing! I love that I got to be with her and help her in her time of need.



After Grandma left Saroya said, "I am really going to miss Grandma Old Ears, no one has ever made my hair softer than she did. And she never HURTS me when she brushes my hair (glaring at me)." All and all I am so thankful we were all able to have that time. We will cherish those memories forever.


Then a couple weeks later, we got to have someone come and stay with us that we had never met or even talked to before. Her name oddly enough... Holly.


The story is amazing, much like the people involved in the story are amazing. It's an adoption story starting with the stunning strength and unconditional love of a teenage girl for her baby and the adoptive parents she chose, to the unbelievable respect, adoration, and unspeakable gratitude the adoptive parents feel toward this special teenage girl. And somehow, somewhere, there I was with my camera. Can you feel the gravity of that?

Neena was one of "my" young women when I was YW President, and we have always had a good relationship. She had talked with me about possibly having Holly (the adoptive mom) come and stay with us while she was here in Michigan. Of course we said yes. I must admit I was a little nervous- I had never met her before- but somehow I knew it would be fine.

From the time we first said "Hello" it was fantastic. She is fantastic! You would have thought we were long lost friends! She amazed me with her creativity and gusto. She made the most adorable fairy dolls, and even gathered all the girls around to show us how to do it one night. I told her one day that she should open an etsy shop. She said, "Ok!" and did it right then! (click here to see it!)


It was really weird to say my name so much (I don't think I have never really talked to another Holly), and it was comical how alike we are in so many ways! I really enjoyed the time we spent together.

The night before the baby was born, Neena, Holly and I had a junk food and movie night here. It was so much fun! The best part was after the movie though, when we all just layed on the bed and talked, and talked, and talked.

Then.....

he came...



And then he came...and they were parents at last, for the first time.

We were so excited that they got to come "home" to our house for a while. You know I can't just have them "at the house" and not do a little photo shoot, right?

Yes... I do have more pictures (snap) and I am so thankful. Thankful to have been a witness to something so beautiful, so amazing and yet all of them so humble to have been a part. Stunning...

So forgive us for our absence and the missed birthdays, anniversaries, etc., I know there are many who can "do it all". Clearly- I am not one of them! :) I will do my best going forward. I can't wait to continue to document our adventures...

7 comments:

Nikki said...

No way! I JUST did a blog post at the same time as you- JUST now. (I'm going to go read yours now...)

Nikki said...

I don't know that you can't do it all- but clearly you do what's most important.
Those fairies are adorable!! Wow. I hope her etsy shop is successful. Thanks for postng her link, though you didn't post a (snap) link!! ;)
I'm glad you were there for grandma in her time of need- you were the only one who could do it and you did it well. (Refiner's fire?)So glad the kids had that special time with her too.
Guess it's time for a visit now that it's just your own family of 5. Who's gonna use all those towels for you?

Sunny said...

Those are amazing pictures Hol! Where did you have that black background? Or is it all photoshop magic? I really like the pictures of Noah in amongst the hands that are on Holly's blog (and on snap). Amazing and SO profound. I also thought the picture of Neena with Noah in the fetal position was brilliant. When I was looking at her blog I was just in tears comprehending the magnitude of the moment conveyed through your pictures. I'm telling you Holly...really!!! I have some photog friends I'll ask them what they charge to give you an idea. You should post your photog assignments. Can't wait to see more!!! I was almost Hotel Tangren (there is actually a Tangren hotel in southern Utah) I was excited to be like you but apparently I'm not as good a hostess as you are.

Andrea said...

What powerful experiences you have had just by being of service to others. Just proves that everytime you try to give back you end up getting something from it and then you still owe Heavenly Father. I am so glad you kids got to really know Grandma Old Ears. I always loved to see how my residents would react with there little posterity.
And Beth kept me updated on your gracious hosting of Holly. You are awesome!!!Good work girlfriend.

John L and Lorraine said...

What a beautiful experience my dear family in Michigan has had. The sweet emotions it brought up for me were special and I am grateful you all had this experience to share. Love you all so much!

Dave said...

I said this once about your Mom, and it's still true today...
and "You (too) are Amazing!"
(It's a good thing that all you girls have the mother that you do.)

Beth Soelberg said...

I'm just sitting here, crying...and as grateful as I am for Holly and Scott, and as amazed as I am with Neena and her unbelievable strength, I am just as amazed at and grateful for YOU, because you were played a very significant and irreplaceable part in the whole story!

And I wish I'd had a few weeks to have my grandma live at my house with us. Lucky. :)

GREAT post.