Thursday, September 4, 2008

Selfless Service

If I could chose a superpower to have, it would be to be able to take pictures with my eyes. Just blink, and then BAM! I could download them to my computer any time I wanted to so I would never forget that moment.

Yesterday I had my camera, but it would have been "inappropriate" so I didn't. I want to remember the beautiful things I saw.

I would have snapped a picture of the sweetest family singing at my grandpa's funeral. See, they go to my grandparents house EVERY week after church to bring them the sacrament and sing to them. They don't go home, get something to eat, relax and then find time, no- they go straight from church. Did I mention that they have 3 boys and 1 girl? 2 of them teenagers? And it is not their calling, they just do it. While they were singing (eyes fixed on grandma because they were only doing this to bring her some comfort) one of the boys put the hymn book in front of his face. Then after a minute and for the rest of the song, his sleeve wiped away tears behind that book. When the song was over, he held the book in front of his face while he walked back to his seat. I wish I had a picture of that, because I never want to forget how thoughtful and completely UNselfish they are. I was so moved.

Then I would have snapped a picture of my tough 11 year old cousin, reaching forward from behind grandma to comfort her during the very moving violin and organ performance of "Be Still My Soul" by Brother Lewis & Sis Maughn. When she turned to see who it was she whispered, "I knew it would be you". See- Danny has really been having a rough time dealing with Grandpa's death. But in that single act of selfless love, he chose to hold her hand from behind during that whole song and through the closing prayer just so she knew he was there. It was beautiful. 72 years apart, but supporting each other nonetheless.

And then- it may have still been inappropriate, but I could no longer hold off. I took some pictures of a fitting tribute to my grandfather for his service to his country. I got a couple of eye glances, but I hadn't read up on funeral etiquette so I am claiming ignorance, and great memories captured.

11 men, take time out of their day to get dressed up in their military best, in 90 degree weather (today) or a winter storm (as they did in February for my uncle) for no other reason than to pay tribute to men and women they may have never met, just so they can give all of them the full military burial they deserve. None of them young, but all of them standing just as tall and as strong as their bodies will let them. Bless them and the beautiful, selfless service that touched us all.





I would be remiss if I didn't mention after all, the selfless service my grandpa gave to his entire family. It was far reaching and powerful. As my Uncle Mark noted in the eulogy, he was a gentle and quiet man, but he never stopped smiling, loving, and giving until the end. He always kissed my grandma last before he would leave to go anywhere, and even in his heavly sedated state, he managed to kiss my grandma one last time, the night before leaving this world. He showed us that true love can and will last.... forever.

8 comments:

Nikki said...

Holly- after a super emotional day... I though I had dealt with it all. I thought I was done. Now I'm bawling all over again. That was a great post- so true and my thoughts exactly too.
Thanks.

Beth Soelberg said...

I'm crying too. I felt that when Dru Nash passed away, there would be a great deficit of love and goodness in the world - well, multiply that by two with your grandpa included. I guess it's up to us to fill it.

I won't put it here, but ask me sometime about my "inappropriate pictures at a funeral" story. It's a good one. (I don't think yours were, by the way).

Leanne said...

Beautiful post Holly. I think you will look back and be so grateful that you took those pictures. I have some of my own that capture an emotional moment (think about it..you know what I'm talking about) and I'm really glad to have them no matter if some people think they are appropriate or not.

If you think they are worthwhile, then they are.

Love this post. Good job.

Dave said...

What a dear, sweet post of a very special occasion. I appreciate it more, because I wasn't able to be there (as you know), but I anticipated that it would be something like you described. I'm so glad that you did this (for my sake - but especially for yourself). I wish I would have been there with my video camera... I would have recorded it!
We need to let the Johnson's see this, because it is a perfect tribute to them and their deeply appreciated service.

Sunny said...

I'm so with you on the "eye camera" I'm sure someone in Japan or somewhere will eventually come up with some thing like that some day and I am SOOO in line to get one. I'm glad you took pictures I brought my camera too but like you felt wierd taking pictures but I missed great opportunities to get memories preserved. That military service just got to me for some reason. I don't know why but it just tore me up! It was BEAUTIFUL, wasn't it!

Michael said...

This is a wonderful post. I made sure that Mom and Dad saw it. I think that Danny loved it, too.

This was a very emotional occasion, so, even though I saw some "eye glances," I'm glad that you took those pictures so that we will never forget what happened (some needing more help than others :) ).

On another, completely related note............... if you (or anyone else in my family) had the power to take pictures with your eyes, I would be mysteriously absent at all family events (lol).

-ST

Jason and Nikki said...

Holly,
I was so sad to hear about your grandfather. It is always so hard to lose a loved one reguardless of their age. Your posts about him are beautiful. We love you all and are thinking about you. Nik

John L and Lorraine said...

We were checking some of the mission paper work we have been doing and I hadn't checked your blog for awhile. I had a feeling you might have written about your Grandpa and what sacred experiences! I meant to send a card,etc., so please forgive me for my neglect. we love you all so much.
Teva just lost her Grandma last week and will attend her burial this week in New Mexico. Maybe you already knew.