Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The L O N G Journey Home

After such a great trip I was ready to get home and back to my family. Unlike When Nathan was gone, Jaleigh wouldn't talk to me on the phone and Saroya suggested that I should stay 4 more days, so I really wanted to get home and connect again. (Granted- they were staying with Grandma & Grandpa so that in itself was exciting enough) It was going to be a quick flight to Denver, and then straight to Grand Rapids. Easy! I actually searched out in advance what movie would be on the flight and I was looking forward to relaxing just a tad bit more before getting back in time to take the kids to Gymnastics and Hockey.

We knew that the storm coming through the night before I left would cause travel problems, so I got up at 4:30am and left with an hour and a half to make a 40 minute drive. The roads were terrible, but with the skilled driving of my sister-in-law, we made it!

When I got to my gate I heard mumblings of all the airports runways being closed, but the lady at the gate assured me we would only be about 10 minutes late for boarding. I had lost my phone charger in Utah so my cell phone was dead. I used my DEBIT CARD to make a payphone call to let my Dad know I would very likely not make it home on time. Not only did that phone call (and one other to Nathan to get calling card info) cost me over $30.00 in calling charges, it also eventually caused fraudulent activity on my account... Great. We did board the plane when the boarding clerk said we would so I was impressed!

After 3 1/2 hours of sitting on the plane at the gate we finally pulled back to get de-iced! I was still in pretty good spirits because no one was in the seat next to me and I got to stretch out, where most of the plane was packed. Soon the captain said, "We are 3rd in line for take off". I watched one plane take off, then another, and finally we were up. The captain comes back on and says, "Uh- it looks like we are going to have to go back to the gate and re-fuel." I just started laughing. Are you kidding me? We sat there for 3 and an half hours and no one noticed that?? We went back to the gate and they had us all "de-plane" for 20 minutes Since the airport was closed, the airport was crammed with people. I had just enough time to call Nathan, give him the low-down, and get the calling card info. Plus I had a minute to grab some trail mix since I hadn't had breakfast.

Back on the plane, de-iced again, and finally off to Denver. Once there and after a huge confusion as to where we were supposed to go to get re-booked, they found me a flight. I would now go from Denver to Moline(?!?!)to Chicago, and finally Grand Rapids by 11:30pm. Grabbed some lunch in a bag and ran to my gate. Luckily I was one of the first on the flight, because they didn't allow the last 11 people on, due to weight restrictions(?!). Yes- it was a small plane, but I was glad to be on it and going home.

I realized I was going to only have 20 minutes to make my connection in Moline so I was really anxious to make it there on time. We did make it on time, but couldn't get to our gate because another plane was there and we had to wait for 25 minutes.

We finally made it off the flight, and I went to the departure boards and all the flights posted were for 6am and later the next morning. I found one other lady and one other man that were on my same flight so we searched for an attendant to help us. The airport was empty. We went to talk to the security men, who said they were closing in 5 minutes. Wha...?!?! We found a pilot going onto the flight we just came off, "Is this plane going to Chicago tonight?" "Yes" "We are booked on this flight." "No- I am sorry. This is an empty flight just getting the flight crew and plane to Chicago." We begged. Showed him our tickets. He was stunned. I said, "I don't need a drink or snacks, I just want to get to Chicago." He agreed but told us that the flight had been delayed for 2 hours. That would have me missing my flight by an hour. So there the three of us sat in an empty airport. They kept changing and pushing back the time, and I was concerned about staying overnight in the airport in Chicago. I talked with Nathan and was really discouraged and worried. Since Jaleigh was the only one still awake, I begged her to at least say "Hi" to me... and she did. She just said "Hi". It was enough though. I loved it.

At last, we got on the plane. The same lady that loaded our luggage, took our tickets and got us on the plane, then went outside and waved to us while she de-iced the plane. It was hilarious! Finally the pilot came out, say down on the arm of a chair and said, "Ok, Chicago is saying 2 more hours before we can go there, this airport is trying to close due to bad weather, (Who?? The ONE lady that was doing everything for us wanted to close the airport?) and we had just de-iced so we only had a small window of opportunity. He finally got clearance to leave. One stop closer!!

When I got to Chicago, I went to the gate clerk and said, "I just got in and I have missed my connection to Grand Rapids" He said, "Oh- that flight leaves in 45 minutes from gate F-11." "Grand Rapids MICHIGAN??" "Yup!" I called Nathan thrilled! I felt like I was walking on air! He said he watched my flights online and every time they would push back my flight to Chicago, they pushed back my flight to Grand Rapids. It was a miracle on my behalf much to the dismay of all the other people on my flight to GR. But I WAS GOING HOME!!

We didn't get to Grand Rapids until 2:30am and by 3:00am when my luggage wasn't there- I didn't care. I ran out to the car my dad was waiting for me in and I was ecstatic. My Dad offered to let me stay at their house for the rest of the night because it was snowing, but I wanted to GET HOME! I dropped him off, and headed home.

The further I went, the worse it got. Pretty soon I was making tracks on the road and could barely see where I was going. At one point a car drove past me and I slammed on my brakes because I literally could NOT see. When the snow cleared, my car was pointing right at the ditch. I was stunned. If I wouldn't have stopped, I would have ended up in the ditch, stuck, and no way to call anyone. I have never prayed as long as I did for the 2 hour drive home that night. Every muscle in my body was tense, and I was hungry because the one meal I had was at lunch and it was now 5am. 25 hours after I woke up to come home, I made it. I laughed and cried as I drove down my street. I was couldn't believe how much I had been through, but more importantly, I was soo thankful for my Heavenly Father for staying mindful of me, helping me make it home and for keeping me safe. There truly is no place like home...

**The morning I got home I found out that the kids school had been canceled due to weather, so I could love all over them all day! And while I was unpacking- I found my phone charger. The blessings continue...

5 comments:

Nikki said...

I was exhausted just reading about your trip! What a crazy, miserable experience. I can't believe you didn't just stay at mom and dad's til daylight atleast. You were very blessed to make it home alive!
I can't believe your charger was in your suitcase the whole time!!!!

Dave said...

There were more than just your prayers going out that night!
And then more prayers of thanks!

Leanne said...

Wow Holly! You never mentioned that you had such an ordeal! I would've been broadcasting it to everyone but you are so humble ;)

We are all glad that you made it home safe. In the years to come, I hope you only remember the good times that you had in Utah & not the trip home.

Salem said...

Um...hello....if you are ever stranded in Chicago...come stay with me!!! We are 20 mins. from both airports!! I'm glad you made it home okay!!!

Nikki said...

Nioce addition with the photo of the empty airport. :)