Sunday, January 13, 2008

Back on the Saddle Ya'll

Whew!! Right before New Years eve the family started falling apart. Ethan got


which was really really scary, but then Saroya & Jaleigh came down with

which, for Saroya turned into
and then lead to an infection that is too gross to show a picture of, so I will just tell you that it is treated with
And then of course, we had to throw in a few of these for good measure before it was over.
After all of that (and having Nathan in Nevada during this time) I was SPENT! That pretty much explains the huge lack of postings on my part. I must give a BIG thanks to this great little "hospital" cleanser,

as well as doctors, medications, Prayer, my visiting teacher, her husband, insurance, automatic washer and dryer, as well as my dear husband who received daily e-mails with updates and pictures of the progresses and digresses we endured. With my husband back home and the sickness just about gone, I give a huge sigh of relief and am ready to get back into the swing of things.

Since these past few weeks have been a blur, I have decided that this very day, January 13th is OUR January 1st. That way, we haven't missed a thing!


Ok- so even though we were dragging, my parents showed much bravery by offering to still have us come to their house for the festivities. They watched the kids for us while Nathan & I took in an early showing of the new National Treasure movie. It was nice to get away together. (When was the last time we were on a date??) We passed the time the rest of the night by watching Shrek 2 on TV, playing games, and opening what I call "Christmas crackers". I love that my parents use the fireplace at their house so much- even though it is "old school" and it takes a lot of work. Oh how I love a fire!!
By the time that old (actually new I guess) ball finally hit the ground into the new year, the kids about the only ones that wanted to be up. We had our toasts to the new year and tried to get overly tired and sick kids into bed. I am really thinking about approaching some TV executives to request that on New years eve, they just run celebrations from every time zone as if it is your own. I am really thinking of celebrating with the Brazilians for New Years Eve next year... :)
The next morning, my parents got up (OK- with some encouragement from the kids probably) and made an AWESOME breakfast spread reminiscent of Aunt Ruth's Christmas breakfasts. We even got to use all the "fancy" table settings! It was a great way to begin the new year.


OH yeah- and this is just a little something for my sisters. Kinda funny the benefits you get by "stickin' around". :)
Ok- I'm kidding, Mom and Dad know what a hot ticket this is... Dad would only let me touch it because I wanted to take pictures of it! Don't you just love her? :)

9 comments:

Nikki said...

You posted! You posted!! I haven't even read it yet, but I am so excited that I wanted to call you to tell you- but it is after midnight- so I'll say it here- adn then go read your post! :)

Nikki said...

Ok, 1st of all why do I always type "and" like this- "adn" when I'm going fast. I hate that!
Anyhow- love the way you said what sicknesses everyone got without actually saying it. :) I really hope you are finally done with all of that!
Love the New Years Eve pictures- did mom get those hats for everyone? Looks like fun for everyone- so does breakfast.
And yes, I do love her. I don't think Dad or Mom ever imagined when Dad made her, how close she would be to our hearts.
Now, being first born doesn't that mean that when Mom and Dad are gone- you know like when I'm about 85-90- that I get to ransack the place and take everything I want, then Holly gets the scraps, and Sunny gets the dust?
HA! HA! Just kidding of course Sunny!! But Holly- or Dad- a nice photo of the angel would make a great Christmas decoration at my house. Just a little idea for my birthday or Christmas. :)

Holly said...

Nik- I think it's more like, Mom & Dad are gone, I take what I want, then call you and Sunny to tell you that "Mom & Dad are in a better place now. It seems they had done some de-cluttering before this happend though. There seems to be a lot less than they used to have..." :)

Beth Soelberg said...

So glad you posted! I laughed out loud...but not because it's funny you had to deal with your poor sick kids alone! I should have had Aidan all of those days; I guess I didn't realize Nathan was gone! Just speak up when you want me to have Aidan, I really don't mind.

That said - why is it that antibiotics always result in the Unmentionable Sickness? Hunter hasn't gotten it yet but I always do (wait, was that too much information???)

Sunny said...

You know that's how it goes!! The youngest gets NOTHING (well except for FABULOUS hand-me-downs) that's why I married a FIRST BORN (the birth rite child). That is a good idea to have a picture of the angel at least because we all know I'm not getting her. :) There will be a new post on our blog soon too, just waiting for Derek to contribute again. :) And for pictures to get off the camera. :)

Caity said...

Oh, I feel so bad you went through all that. I think seriously I would have had quite a few break downs.
You are a super mom!

Derek said...

You guys have just had the worst luck with crazy sicknesses the last little while! Hopefully we don't send you home with anything from Utah!

The breakfast looks like so much fun!

Anyway, you probably won't read this until you're back in Michigan, but we love having you out here!!!

Greg Garrick said...

Those first few photos kept me from finishing the post :)

Add my search box to your blog.

Staying Young in Vegas said...

Holly, I just saw your comment on my blog, and then found yours. So nice to see your family and catch up on what you are doing. You do a great job with pictures and updates. I am still learning. We got to see all of the Averys except you guys at Christmas. We must have missed Nathan while he was here. It definitely is nice to be closer to family. I feel much more in touch with what is going on this way!
Suzanne Young