Thursday, May 1, 2008

Happy Trail

A sign of the season is a return to what I call the "Happy Trail". We have biked on it, hiked on it, roller bladed on it, run on it, scavenged on it, and it never disappoints. This last time, I took my camera along to record some of the hi-lights of this section. The trail is about 25+ miles long, and we have just taken it in sections so far. Nathan & I want to do the whole trail soon!
Saroya found a beautiful flower with some "friends" (ants) and Jaleigh decided to take them along for the ride..

Then later I noticed that she found lots of friends to take along... Hopefully they were just flowers!

I love that they have random works of art along the trail. This is one of my favorites.

Tons of flowers and greenery line the paths most of the way.


This is new this year, isn't it cute? It looks like it will be a place you can stop for drinks and snacks. So FUN! :)


There is one part of the trail that has just TONS of wild green onion chives growing along the side. The smell reminds me of my childhood.Lets just say we call this little gem TP. Leave it at that.This sight always baffles me. Why is is so hard to grow grass in my own yard, but these little buggers burst through the pavement to thrive??Ever the environmentalist, Ethan found this old tire along the trail and rolled it all the way to a place he could put it in the garbage.

This part is always hard to rollerblade across because the tree drops lots of different things on the trail at different times, but this time of year it looks sooo cool!

We usually stop once we get to the park for a snack and to let the kids play.

The day we were here, there was a storm coming in so the wind was extremely strong. Ethan and Saroya let the wind take them for a ride. They would rollerblade up to the railing and then let the wind push them back.



Jaleigh said she was way too strong for the wind to push her around!

After we have relaxed a bit, we either send Nathan back for the van or we start back. Some people get some help along the way...

I am so thankful for this trail. It seems like such a simple thing, but we always come back refreshed and having had a good time. So if you are ever in the area, we would love the company!

5 comments:

Leanne said...

I love the trail too :)
That iron work is one of my favs too!
I also love to see the periwinkle along the way. I finally bought some of my own this year.

I'm ready to walk it any time you are ;)

Jeannie said...

where is your trail?? is it the same one that goes from Rockford up to Cadillac? Celia and I are gearing up for some serious beach days. She has her suit, a beach tent, pail and shovel, and yes, even sunglasses! I will be calling you! I had a dream with you in it the other night and figured it was an omen for my summer to come :)

Beth Soelberg said...

Love the trail! It would do my overfed, underworked body some good.

There's something about just being outside when the weather's fine that convinces me that all is right in the world!

Great pictures, too...

Nikki said...

Love the pictures so much Hol- they are really great! Wish we had something nearby like that.

Pam said...

I love that your family loves the outdoors so much, and that you find joy in simple things that I tend to miss. Thanks for reminding me to look at my world.