Sunday, May 11, 2008

Oh HAPPY DAY!


So much to celebrate, where to begin?

Of course today is Mothers Day and I am so thankful first for having a great mother. She is so loving and outgoing. She celebrates every holiday and sends my kids a card so we can celebrate too. I come from a long line of strong women and she is no exception. She works hard, she plays hard, she loves hard. I have learned, and continue to learn so much from her. Since her birthday is in a few days, I will leave a few details for that day...


I too, am thankful for a great mother-in-law. She inspires me by being so close to the spirit. She strives every day to improve herself spiritually, emotionally and physically. She has raised 7 AMAZING great kids who all get along! (That is no small feat!!) She stands by and supports her husband without question and has an impeccable home. She has wonderful strong hands from years of owning and cleaning a motel that was just as clean as her own home, but are loving and careful when playing with one of her 17 grandchildren. She can find a song to sing about everything, and has a beautiful voice. She can make anything homemade (much to my dismay as a new wife... Nathan on our first shopping trip together- "You don't make your own syrup or pancake mix?" Me- "Huh? I thought making it from this box WAS homemade....") and it is delicious! Because of her, my husband can get ANY stain out of anything and will get right in there and clean things with me. I am so thankful to her for raising a great wonderful son whom I am proud to have as a husband and father to my children.

I am thankful for the opportunity to be a mother myself. Nothing has given me greater joy or meaning in my life. I rejoice when my kids rejoice and try to make life happy for them. I really try to be a good mom, and I know that I make mistakes, but I will never give up on trying to do better. They deserve that. Thankfully I don't do it alone. I rely HEAVILY on my Heavenly Father and also my wonderful husband. I couldn't do it without them...

Which leads me to my next reason to celebrate today. 12 years ago I was married for time and all eternity to my best friend.

Nathan- It was such a crazy weekend all those years ago with all of us gathered in Chicago for the big event. I will never forget the sick look on your face in the temple, which I thought meant you had changed your mind. Instead it was because we forgot to get our marriage license. I remember speeding to the county clerks office and according to our watches we still had a few minutes left, but according to the security guard, we had better stop banging on the doors trying to get in, or it would be a different kind of honeymoon.

So it went off without a hitch, a day late but worth the wait. You offered to drive to Michigan and I soon fell asleep. When I woke up you said, "Well, we are doing good! We are almost all the way across Indiana already." Only problem was that we were only supposed to be in Indiana for a tiny bit and then head up to Michigan. So we took a different way home that day, a way I had never been before (or since) but it was very scenic and beautiful. Too bad we had people waiting for us!

When we made it there, I was late for my appointment to get my hair done so I had to use whomever was available. Apparently she was available for good reason... When I found you on the couch in the waiting room I said, "Nathan quick. I need to go home and do something with my hair. I look like Little Bo Peep" and then I rushed up to pay the stylist. You came up to us groggy and said right in front of the lady who did my hair, "Why do you think you look like Little Bo Peep?" I still laugh about that! It was a wonderful reception, set up sooo beautifully by my extended family members- I don't think I appreciated as much then as I do now how much work went into that! THANK YOU! It was a whirlwind day ending up back in Chicago for a flight back to Utah early the next day, but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

With as many bad choices I have made in my life, I am so thankful for the one great choice I made in choosing to marry you. The one who has made all the difference and loved me through it all. Sometimes I put up a front, afraid that people won't like the "real" me, but you know everything about me and love me anyway. I am so overwhelmed that you love me not because you have to, but because you want to. You support me, believe in me, and love to see me happy. I know without a doubt that you would rather be with me, than anyone else. That means so much. Uhh... I need to stop. Just know. I can't say how thankful I am, but I feel it and it brings me to tears. And you know I don't cry easily. :) Thank you...

6 comments:

Leanne said...

What a sweet post Holly.

Sunny said...

And now I'm in tears! Dang, My sisters and their men. Just hearing how amazing their marriages are and remembering how incredible their courtship and weddings were just tug on the heart strings. It was watching you meet and marry your husbands that gave me hope for an amazing man as you both have. It was watching you and mom and dad that I saw something beautiful in love and commitment. That's funny that you try to be someone else because I pretend I'm you when I meet people. Of course you knew that.

Beth Soelberg said...

That's incredible. Very sweet.

Beautiful post.

Nikki said...

I have to pretend to be Holly too sometimes! But I'd ratehr she be there with me to break teh ice and keep converstaions flowing.:)

You got a good husband out of that crazy wedding! What fun memories. greg was so sad you would not be married on his birthday. It was funny to have the "after the temple reception" the day before you were married! I guess you just got to have your own endowment day instead. The family in MI did take care of everything didn't they?! Good times... Good memories.
Happy Anniversary.
Happy Mother's Day too.

Nikki said...

Boy! I should really check my comments for typos BEFORE I publish them! Oops. Hope you still understand what I wrote!

John L and Lorraine said...

You have such a delightful way of expressing yourself which causes one to laugh, cry, and feel so loved all at the same time. Thank you for being such a sweet companion to one I love so much. Ethan, Saroya, and Jaleigh are so blessed to have you too.