Thursday, September 6, 2007

DONE!!!

I just love going to the Farmers Market. I usually give Jaleigh some change and she picks out an apple here, a gourd there, a tiny pumpkin here. She is thrilled beyond words at her treasures. I have such a great respect for farmers. To see these old men and their wives, whose hands are so old, worn, callused, but strong. Their faces lined and weathered but unyielding. They have such a connection with the earth and with life. I can't really describe it, but it makes me so sad that they work so hard and get so little money in return. Yet they never give up. Someday I want to photograph farmers. Weird, I know. It's just something....


So we went to the Farmers Market this morning, came home and canned. I was quite proud of myself too, because as I began I had no clue about what I was doing. I have canned tomatoes in the past, but it didn't come back immediatly. Then I remember Grandma Pauline (aka Old Ears), "Now, I just boil them down until they are crushed and then put them in the jars. They will seal without processing." I remember her standing in my kitchen, Grandpa in the other room looking at books with Saroya. Then it all came back.... YEA!!

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Hey! Next time you go, take me with you! My kids would die if I brought home those green beans and expected them to eat em up. Gee...how does that reflect on their 'ol Mom?! They are canned green beaners all the way. I, myself love to hear the snap of the bean as I trim them. And yum..they are tasty with balsalmic vinegar. Mmm.
Nice pics of all those veggies...they make me hungry.