Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Beach Before School







There was really no other way to celebrate the last day before school started than to go to the beach. The weather was really nice and since it was Labor day, even Grandma got to come! We packed lunches and actually stayed longer at one time than we have all summer. With the beach being so close to us, it's not uncommon for us to go out for an hour or two. Just to get away from the phone, dishes, laundry, etc. and sit together (Nathan & I), talk and watch the kids entertain themselves. I love it!
As I have mentioned before, Jaleigh loves the sand. Lately she has decided she needs to make a sand angel at least twice before she leaves. That is great, but can you imagine how much sand we bring home in that kids head??


She also has a best friend that always follows her around...




This is a pool that Ethan & Saroya tried to secure for their "minnow" fish. They just couldn't figure out why there were more fish sometimes, and less fish another time...


And then... the dreaded SCHOOL!!! Actually the only one dreading it was me. This year everyone including Nathan are off to school. Granted, Jaleigh only does it 2 mornings a week and Nathan only goes IN to school on Fridays, I still dreaded it. I can't really blame my lack of postings on Nathan, but he is on the computer NON STOP!! I'm just not used to sharing my computer with anyone. He gets up with me and helps get the kids off to school. Then he starts working on school work with short breaks for eating, until about 4pm when the kids get home. Then we do family things, eat dinner and get the kids to bed. BOOM he is back on the computer doing school work again. I am really impressed with his dedication and drive, so I don't worry about not being on the computer. It's just so different than before.


OK- back to the kids first day of school.


Ethan would only let me drop him off at the student drop off, and I spared him the humiliation of me crawling out the window to get a picture of him walking to school, so I left it at that. Wow- he is getting too big!! Saroya let me walk her to the class and posed for every picture I took of her, even in front of the whole class!! That was it though. After that...
I crossed the line and she let me know it. I have long been concerned about what to send a kid for lunch that doesn't eat bread, or crackers, or much of anything. Now, don't think we haven't tried! We started a new thing for dinner- If you don't at least try what Mom makes for dinner, you wait until breakfast. (By the way we are 2 for 2. Each time they have not eaten dinner and opted to wait for breakfast, one of them has woken up the next morning puking.... Who knows?!?!) Anyway- so I go to school during her first lunch to see how things are going. As soon as she sees me, she gives me the hand signal to go away. I rush to her, "No- No!! I just wanted to see how things are going! How is your lunch? Oh- raise your hand for a napkin, your spaghetti is everywhere. Is it still hot??" Finally she gives me a look. "What?" "Mom- if you miss me go home and cry by yourself. I am FINE!" "Uh... OK... See you at the bus stop?" Don't worry though, every time she comes home she can't wait to tell me all about her day. That makes this Momma very happy...

2 comments:

Caity said...

Okay, so I have a picture of Emma in the same bathing suit making a sand angel. Crazy, I know :) Love the pics of the "engaged couple"

Jeannie said...

That is hilarious!!!! I remember, much to my dismay now because I think my mom is so cool, that my mom surprised ME at lunch in the 4th grade to eat with me and I was SOOO embarrassed. So much so I told her I didn't want her there and so she ate pancakes all by herself at a table. I feel so bad still that in college I wrote a narrative about it, and even now writing it feel a little sick to my stomach.
My mom just laughs and says, I don't remember that!