Monday, September 24, 2007

A-Very Good Name

I know I should just go to bed but I am having some rambling thoughts that I thought I would just get out before I do. Avery. It is such a simple name, and I haven't thought much about it until recently. It is the last name of the man I fell in love with and that in itself makes it good. But there is soo much more! No one spells it wrong. No one asks you how to spell it or even to repeat it. (Which I guess is a GREAT thing when you have a name like Saroya or Jaleigh...) My kids are the first ones to be the "Star of The Week" in the class, or bring the Show & Tell bag. In school many times the kids are given a number to go after their names on all work (maybe in case they can't read the name??) and this year Ethan gets to write "Ethan Avery #1" on all of his papers! That is fun for a kid, right?? It is also a short name. Filling out those little black dots on meap tests wouldn't be soo bad. (Do they still do that?) I can appreciate this mostly because I used to be a "W". A nine letter "W". I always seemed to sit in the back of the class (thankfully- I don't think they do this anymore!) and the Show & Tell bag was usually lost by the time it was my turn. I was always at the end. Maybe that's why I didn't "apply" myself in high school. (Just kidding MOM!!) There are good things about being a "W" I suppose. I could wait & see what everyone else brought for show & tell, and then really blew them away when it was my turn. I could sit in the back of the room (I think we got away with more in the back of the room.) When looking at posted grades, everyone had found their grade before they saw what I got. (With an "A" name it's easy for everyone to see!) Anyway- I just like my last name and I am glad my kids get "A" benefits. Oh- and by the way- I would still have married Nathan even if he was Nathan Wartbottom. (I maybe would have just suggested we keep MY last name... :) What experiences have you had with a last name? What do you love about yours?

In other news, I have posted previously about our recent acorn collecting. Well, after polishing and sorting I decided to put them into a vase and leave out as part of my autumn decorations.


After a couple of days I find my kids starting to be more and more interested. At first I thought, "Oh- They love acorns like I do". They are always on the lookout for cool ones. But when it came to congregating around the table every day for several minutes and with much conversation, I knew something was up. Sure enough. The kids had decided we had pets!


They LOVED watching the worms crawl around! "Oh look! One is getting out of that big acorn! Look- That one is trying to climb higher!" The next morning they ran to the acorn dish to see what their pet's were up to. I actually think they named them... Needless to say, I was feeling guilty about not affording my children the privilege to own a real pet so I let them hang around for a while. When I finally had Nathan take them out to the woods, the kids were so upset with me! Luckily the neighbors went on vacation, so they now get to look after the bunny instead. It is enough of a distraction for the time being. Next year when we go acorn collection, we are going to bake them in the oven before displaying them... (yuck, I know...)

7 comments:

Greg Garrick said...

Very random last name thoughts Hol. My last name ALWAYS has to be spelled out. And doesn't flow to well with "Nikki" either. "Nikki Garrick, g-a-r-r-i-c-k" kind of gets stuck in your throat.
Anyhow- double yuck on the maggots!

Sunny said...

Sometimes I miss Wadsworth. I never had to tell anyone how to pronounce it. I didn't move up the alphabet much with Tangren. But I did luck out because there would be so many names that would make my first name an adjective. Day. Green. Wood. etc Although you do get the occasional Sunny Tangerine on junk mail. Fun Fun!

Salem said...

I LOVE the name Avery...in fact maybe someday I'll have a child named Avery...after you guys. :) Although I have a hard time with names that I know both genders are given. Anyway...Morin is not good with Salem...it sounds like one long word. However, every first name I've ever liked has gone great with Morin. And I LOVE my husband's family, so I feel honored to share their last name. Cute pictures of the kids....I loved the decoration...darn insects.

Derek said...

Yeah, people get "Tangren" wrong pretty much every time. There was a little girl on my mission who referred to me as "Elder Tigger" because I'm sure that's the closest thing to Tangren that she had ever heard in her life.

Another plus is that I think it's hard for kids to make fun of the name "Avery". I'm worried that if our kids need to have braces (one thing I avoided as a youth) they will be referred to as "Tin-grin". Time will tell...

Holly said...

OH That is TERRIBLE!!! Kids are soo mean! But By the way- They did call Nathan "Nathan Avery the Avon Lady" Kids will say anything.... :) Oh and Sunny- I was HOPING to be Mrs. Holly Wood. It just didn't happen that way!

Caity said...

I think Soelberg is sort of hard to say. I always want to just slur it. But with Tracy, no one every believed it was my last name so I would have to say, "Tracy IS my last name" every time. I like Avery too. Good solid name!

Leanne said...

Holly....my cousin's last name is Wartbottom! How rude of you.

Just kidding of course. Hee hee. My kiddos can relate to being at the end of every list with the "W". Having the last name of Weihl causes it's own probs because of the genius who spelled it with the 'e' BEFORE the 'i'. So I get to hear people addressing me as Mrs. Wheel all the time instead of While. Now having my maiden name be a "B" name put me in a good spot though. Never first for anything in school, but that included all the bad stuff! But never last for everything either. Of course I was teased as being Leanne BUTTrum instead of Bertram. Ugh. Can't win.

Love the acorn jar by the way. Maggots and all. :)