Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sob Story...

I guess little things have been mounting slowly. A bi-fold door to the laundry room off the track and laying on the floor, the slider door handle fallen off, the auto-slider door in the van randomly not working, leaves in the yard collecting and reminding me they need to be raked, a costume needing to be finished. These were just a few things that were on my mind as I started my day- behind schedule- today.

It wasn't until after there was a forgotten lunch, and wallet, and my 5th and last sewing needle broken that I *started* to lose it. I held back the tears and bounded thru the house picking up all the little piles of clutter that constantly seem to be there. Jaleigh sleepily walked into the room I was in as the phone rang. She had just woken from a nap and I picked her up, sat her on my lap and answered the phone. It was Nathan calling to thank me for dropping his wallet off at work. He asked what was wrong, I sounded a little down.

The flood gates opened and I told him that I had been working soo hard on the costume and I didn't think I would be able to finish it. I wanted him to help me figure out a way to attach the ears without breaking the needle, and make them stand up like they were supposed to. I needed him. As soon as the tears started flowing, Jaleigh sat up, put her hands on my cheeks, and then threw her arms around my neck. She stayed just like that until I finished talking to Nathan and had calmed down. Then she looked at me and said, "Momma, why are you crying on the phone?" I said, "Because I am having trouble with Saroya's costume and I don't know if I am going to be able to finish it." She said, "Don't worry Mommy, I will help you." LOTS of tears again, and I hugged her and whispered, "Thank you sweetie."

I know kids are just sweet and always want to help, but today when Jaleigh said that, it meant soo much. I think Nathan working and going to school are starting to catch up to me. I know that we have it soo much better than most, but there are times in every situation where you can get really overwhelmed. I am thankful for a sweet little girl, who in my sad moment, was able to remind me that I'm not alone and that everything Nathan & I do are absolutely for the betterment of our family.

It may not seem like much, but when I FINALLY finished Saroya's costume tonight (and believe me there is MUCH to be desired) she put it on and said, "Mom! It's PERFECT!!" The whole time I was making the costume, I was afraid she was going to be embarrassed to wear it because I am not a seamstress in any stretch. I am so thankful for a wonderful big girl that doesn't see my shortcomings, just sees that I tried, and that makes it "perfect".

Tonight after going WAY out of our way to find sewing needles, and getting home too late to rake the leaves (which I had promised we would do) Ethan offered to make dinner for he and the girls so that I could get right to sewing. That was so helpful, and allowed me to finish the costume without being up all night. Also, I am so impressed with his decision today, to stick up for his friend on the bus, against the same bully that gave him trouble last year. Even when this same friend didn't stick up for him last year. He is such a responsible boy and I am so thankful that he is such a helper.

Finally, I am thankful for Nathan who wanted to fix all my problems over the phone. Who apologized profusely for things he had no control over. For offering to wake me in the middle of the night so we could solve the costume problem together. He was willing to cancel meetings he has planned to go over big projects for school, so he could be here. I know that he would do anything for me and our family, and I also know that he IS doing everything he can for us already. He works so hard.

Sometimes we just have bad days. I started this blog as a way to focus on the positives in my life. Although today didn't start out positive in any way, I wouldn't change it. Not one minute. The folding door is still on the floor, the handle on the slider is still broken, and the fact that for some reason my camera won't communicate with my computer anymore frustrates me to no end, I am OK. I am blessed beyond belief, and I look forward to a crazy busy Halloween day because that will be MY daughter with the falling-apart easter bunny costume with the cooked ears, that she couldn't be more happy about. :)

***edit*** I had to laugh tonight as I was sweeping the horrendiously dirty floor. There were chocolate cupcake crumbles everywhere! It made me remember how much my kids LOVED the cupcakes I made for them.... even though I forgot to add the eggs. :) Saroya actually says she prefers them that way now! Aren't kids the best??

6 comments:

rachel said...

Awwww, Holly, big hugs from Ohio! I know you're not perfect, but you're so darn close that it's nice to hear that you have bad days, too. I really look up to you. You're such a great mother and YW leader and friend. I miss you. :(

The part about Jaleigh sounds just like Lily. She is such a sweet girl -- so sensitive and tender.

Good job on the costumes! I can't wait to see pictures!

Nikki said...

I hope this camera/computer problem gets fixed so you can check that off your list- and post pictures from halloween.
Sorry I wasn't much of a help on the phone today. Guess I was a bit distracted by my own busy-ness (sleepiness) to realize how bad your day was going. Sometimes you just have to get it (the tears) out and then you feel so much better.
Hope tomorrow is fun- my day looks like another very busy one. I look forward to sleep one day soon. :)

Caity said...

Okay, so I always thought your kids were the coolest kids ever, but now I know they are! I'm sorry yesterday was so overwhelming. TOday was going to be like that for me until I decided that I just couldn't do everything perfect, so why stress out about it! Happy Halloween! Soroya is going to look so cute! I bet that costume is way better than you'll ever give yourself credit for!

Derek said...

Hope everything worked out well. I'm sure everyone is happy (if for no other reason than they have lots of candy...that's how I would rate Halloween's...on the amount of candy scale). Give me a call and we'll see if we can figure out the camera issue. We want to see the finished product!!!

the mighty guin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the mighty guin said...

Sorry about the comment deletion - I can't stand that it won't let me edit when I misspell things! I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you had a tough day but I'm glad you have a husband and kids that love you and take good care of you.
By the way, what kind of sewing machine do you have?

Texas Gillie