Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My VERY Happy Birthday






Usually I think I am a year older than I really am for some reason. My darling sister Sunny was nice enough to hi-light 33 things she loves about me, which makes me feel younger. Love her! My older sister Nikki, who is a perfectionist unfortunately for me, reminded me that I am actually 34 by hi-lighting 34 she "knows and loves" about me. So sweet of them both, and they both made me laugh! I am so thankful to have such great sisters!

When I woke the kids up for school I said, "Hey! Do you know what today is??" Saroya's eyes popped and she said, "Oh YEAH! Today is the day we are doing a concert for the kindergartner's! We are singing the song about Martin Luther King Jr. and 'Go My Son, Go and climb the ladder'." And then she proceeded to sing a song I remember from my childhood. (My mom was nice enough to buy the tape, I think, after we watched a BYU performance in GR.) Weird, and exciting to me all at once.

Then I announced that it was my birthday- so they better get up quick and get dressed. We couldn't be late for the bus on my BIRTHDAY! :) I'll use anything I can!! :) They were sweet and got right to it.

Nathan had a meeting at work but then called me after a half an hour and said the meeting had been changed so he was on his way home! When he got home, I filled the bath and soaked for a LONG time! That in itself was a great birthday present.

The rest of the day was filled with lovely e-mails and calls from so many people. Even about 5 of the Young Women from the ward wished me a happy birthday. It was so touching.

Miss J wasn't feeling so hot (or actually she WAS feeling hot with a fever..) so she just wanted to cuddled and be held mostly. It was nice to have an excuse for not doing much!

I got to see the sun today and it didn't snow. If I could just ignore the foot of snow still on the ground, I might actually think spring is on the way.

Last night we went to the Blue & Gold Banquet for cub scouts. I was a little bummed about having to go their rather than out with my husband, but it turned out so GREAT! I got to see friends that were so sweet to bring gifts and birthday wishes, and the whole pack meeting sang happy birthday to me (so what if they called me "Amy"?!?) Anyway- my thoughtful visiting teacher

remembered how much I love her Asian chicken salad, and made extra so I would have some to take home. Every time I see it in the refrigerator I get excited! YUMMY!!

And she also made homemade egg rolls for everyone (Hey- I'm giving you props for helping too Leanne! THANK YOU!)



Anyway- by the end of a long corny night, I felt like I had gone out to eat for a GREAT meal with my husband (and about 35 kids... Oh well!) thanks to the thoughtfulness of my great friends.


Now Nathan and the kids say they have a "real" birthday party planned for me tonight. We will see what that brings!!


Anyway- thanks so much to all of you that helped make my birthday one of the best!

4 comments:

Derek said...

I'm glad that you had a good birthday, Holly. I hope tonight is even better!!! I almost did 26 things...honestly. I always think I'm 25 so I guess I just figured that you were 26. ;) I'm glad my mommyhead has it's benefits!

Nikki said...

Happy Birthday and welcome back to blogging! Glad the Blue and Gold was a good time and felt like a party for you. Why did they call you Amy?? Can't wait for tomorrow's post about tonights family party!
Oh! Check my blog post "Our Almost Teen" in the comments...you have a message.

Nikki said...

BTW- That song brings me right back. I remember them doing the song in some kind of sign language too. AND I totally remember EVERY word of that song!

Sunny said...

I remember that song too! I find myself singing it a lot and no one had heard of it. Well Derek hadn't heard it but that's not saying much he was the inactive kid after all. I saw a thing on KBYU about that performance and the different experiences the performers and professors had with it. I just about screamed. I knew I hadn't imagined it. For some reason I have that BYU performance and "Up with People" mixed together in my head.