Friday, February 8, 2008

Valentines Cards & Snow Days

When my sisters and I were kids, we would each get a card in the mail from our Aunt Ruth (my grandpa's sister) on every holiday. Now thinking back, that was quite an accomplishment. I can't even seem to get out 1 birthday card a year for my family members! But without fail, every holiday we would get a card. St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Valentines Day, Halloween, etc. And then on our birthday, we would get a card with some money inside. She was so thoughtful.

My parents now carry on that tradition with my kids. When we first had Ethan Nathan couldn't understand. "A St. Patrick's Day card?? I didn't even know they made those!" But now he gets excited to tell the kids when they have gotten a card in the mail. Each child gets their own card and they usually have a sheet of stickers in it. Oh how the kids love it! In fact, those cards usually get VERY worn quickly! Here is what Jaleigh's valentines day card apparently said...


Saroya and Jaleigh decided that they absolutely needed to write a thank you card to my mom and dad, for sending them Valentines Day cards this year. They both went to work writing them, drawing pictures in them, and putting stickers on them. As soon as Nathan had the driveway cleared enough so they wouldn't get lost on the way to the mailbox (Can you see how high the snowbank is next to them?) they went outside to mail them.


With 3 snow days off of school in the past 3 weeks, we have had a little cabin fever around here. The previous two snow days were canceled due to snow and wind chill. You can't go out and play in -25 degree weather. On Thursday though, school was canceled due to a foot of snow dumped on us. By afternoon most places were dug out and we were ready to get outside.


We went outside for a while...


and of course Saroya & Ethan had to have a wrestling match for a while... (I love this picture even though I am quite sure they will kill me for it when they are teenagers. Whenever they are "play wrestling" they always get right in each others faces and use "fightin' words" before throwing each other around. I happened to catch this "fightin' words moment and it cracks me up!) Then we hit the sledding hill. Why is it that kids always end up going down the hill backwards? :) I thought this was a cute picture of Jaleigh & the little boy I babysit going down the hill together. They barely went anywhere at all because the snow was so deep and they are so light. (even together!)Saroya and Ethan went right for the snowboards..

We will have to get a better video of Saroya because she actually did VERY good this time. My camera however, decided itself when it would record and when it wouldn't. Have I mentioned that I need a new camera?? ;)



Ethan says he needs to do this all day long... :)



3 comments:

rachel said...

I LOVE the videos! It's so good to hear your voice (and Jaleigh's, too)!

You're lucky to have snow. We haven't had more than an inch or two, and then it was only for a couple of days.

Derek said...

So COOL! You guys need to come out to the greatest snow on earth and teach your Uncle Derek how to snowboard.

Nikki said...

I've been feeling SO guilty that I haven't commented on these last 2 posts.
Aunt Ruth was the original "Good Mail" queen :) ANd now your girls are following...

Jaleigh is too cute. I think Reagan got that same card a different year. There must not be a huge selection of cards at Hallmark (see Jillie's blog). :)

Those kids need to get to the slopes. He's so natural with that snowboard now- Imagine how good Ethan would be if he got to ski everyday. I'm sure they'll have ski club at school in a couple of grades from now.

LOVE the pictures! Great shots- your camera's not too bad!