Sunday, February 3, 2008

(Mostly) A Grandparent Post

I usually try to avoid "these kind" of posts, but I am thankful for the lessons learned so I wanted to document it. ****WARNING!! I am proud of my KIDS!!****

They have a program in Ethan's school called the Accelerated Reader Program. Certain books are given different point levels depending on difficulty. After you have read a book, you take a test about it and how many questions you get right determine how many points you actually get for reading the book. Those points are collected and when you reach different levels, (5, 10, 20, 35 points etc.) you get a certificate. Last year I think he got 25 points for the whole year. This year in the first semester he had already gotten 25 points! I was so excited for him. Then the other kids in his class started reading Harry Potter....

Harry Potter books have some of the highest point values but they are by far some of the longest books to read. Ethan has developed a bit of a competitive spirit this year so he rented Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. That is book 4 in the series, and has one of the highest point values of all Harry Potter books. I was concerned that he would get tired of reading it, or read it and not understand what he was reading, I mean a lot of things were probably covered in the first 3 books, right? Well, he read it, took the test and got 100%! He was so happy and we were floored. Then he went back and started with the first Harry Potter book. I think he started reading these books in the middle of November and right now he is more than half way through the 5th book he has read in the series. More than that though, he has become an avid reader. If he forgot his book at school, he would just get a different book at home and start reading that one just as passionately. I have even had to "ground" him from reading a few times because I have found him reading well into the night. Secretly I love that he loves it so much!

Well, on Friday they had a Honor's assembly at school and he wrote it on my calendar to make sure I was there. He was given an award for reaching the 100 Point level!! I was so happy for him! In addition to that though, the day after the semester ended, he took another test and is now in the 125 point level. There is only one person in his grade that has a higher point level and that is 150. I am just so impressed because he is self-motivated in this. It's a completely optional program, and Nathan & I haven't pushed him at all.

He also got an academic achievement award that is given to kids that have all A's or A's & B's. I am most impressed because he really is working hard to keep his grades up. Pretty much since he started taking spelling tests in 2nd grade he has been getting 100%'s. (Grandma & Grandpa give rewards to him for getting all 100%'s in spelling for a whole semester) This semester though, they started him on a "Challenge" spelling list. He has worked hard, but frankly they are works I would spell wrong. They are HARD! He was really discouraged because he would study hard and then get a B or C. Well, the last spelling test of the semester, he got a 95% (one wrong) and then this last spelling test 100%!! I don't know if he'll always remember how to spell manufacturer, enthusiastic, or specifications, but I do hope he will remember how he felt after working hard and finally having success. Yea Ethan!!
I should say also that Saroya did excellent on her report card too, getting "Achieving Goals" and "Exceeding Goals" in all of the areas except dribbling a basketball. We will have to work on that... :) She is in an accelerated reading and math group and really likes the challenge. So, Yea Saroya!!

I hope they will continue to do good in school, but even if they don't I hope they will at least always try hard. I am thankful in a way, that Nathan is still going to school. They see how hard he studies and they hear us talk about what kind of grades he strives to get. (Did I mention he got all A's last semester?? :) I wonder if that has some influence on them. Either way- I am sure proud of my family. I better get doing something to keep up!! :)

Now for a few pictures of what the kids did on the snow day they had on Wednesday. Big surprise about Ethan huh? :) It was so nice they weren't connected to something electronic!

7 comments:

Dave said...

Makes a grandparent proud... (a, happy for his great acheivements). And that goes for all our "Great" grandkids. They're all great acheivers!!
Way to go Ethan!!!

Pam said...

We are so very proud of all our grandkids. Ethan had to overcome a "false start" in school when an undetected sight problem left him unable to accomplish tasks. Once that was corrected, he then had to catch up and believe in himself that he could do the work and do it well. That started the rewards program we had with him. He has far exceeded what we hoped for him. This comment could go on forever telling you about the accomplishments of our other amazing grandkids. We are happy for all of them!!! They take after their parents :).

Dave said...

You are another great part of why they are successful in their efforts. You are a Great Support! You are the one who has always won people's hearts and demonstrated such ability to whatever you put your mind to. In fact, when you put your mind to something, there was no stopping you until it was accomplished. Do you think your kids don't see that?
And talents that others rave about and make your parents proud... (er, happy for your great choices) as with each of our daughters.
You are taking all that I ever taught you to a new level. (Probably because you've added to that, all that your mother taught you, and is still teaching you.)

Leanne said...

Go Ethan!
Go Saroya!

btw....Jillian has all the Harry Potter books if you ever want to borrow one and not have to worry about getting one back to the library on time...well, nevermind..sounds like he is almost done with all of them. So nice to see kids with a passion for something that does them good :)

Nikki said...

You should NOT try to avoid these kinds of posts. These are great accomplishments adn they shoud be praised- even publicly. Someday you'll have all of your posts printed up in a book as your family journal & these should be an important part of it! Then the kids can look back and remember how hard they worked & how good success feels & they will desire to continue with it.
(Getting down off my soap box now...)
Way to go Ethan and Saroya! You're setting a great example for Jaleigh of being a good student. And Holly- Nathan and the kids would not be doing so great in school if it weren't for you. You need an all A's report card made up for you too!

Nikki said...

BTW, I can't believe I'm not the first to comment! Losing my touch!

Sunny said...

Yea! Ethan and Saroya! I hope Hyrum grows up to be like you guys! He can open doors now and escape into the rest of the house now ( if the door is ajar)Way to go!