Friday, March 21, 2008

Saroya's Magical Disappearing Glasses


I haven't gotten around to posting this yet, but Saroya got GLASSES! They are reading glasses and she is supposed to use them for reading and using the computer. She loves them so much. She was funny tyring to pick them out, deciding what she liked and didn't like. She likes colors on the sides (arms), but not the front. Anyway- we picked them up about 2 weeks ago.

I have been a little nervous because they are on and off her face so much during the day. Ethan can't see anything without his, so he wakes up, puts them on, and that's where they stay until he goes to sleep. I just worry about them getting broken or misplaced.

When she got home from the bus today, she started telling Nathan about a scary story a boy was telling her. It was something about dinosaurs and covering every hole or gap in your house or else. I was just eavesdropping so I didn't get the whole story. Then I see Nathan hug her and tell her that the boy is just making things up and she shouldn't listen to what he was saying.

A little later, she comes back and I hear he talking about the boy again. Nathan says, "Well- where are they?"

"I think I forgot to get them back from him..."

Now I am interested in what is going on. "What happened?"

He tells me that Saroya gave her glasses to the boy on the bus and didn't get them back when she got off. After much conversation and a call to the bus garage (who didn't find them), I sat down with Saroya. I asked her why she gave them to the boy. She said that he could see magical things through her glasses. He could see things that no one else could see and it would somehow help him with the dinosaurs. "He really believes it, Mom! He needed my glasses!"
After I made sure she knew that even if her glasses were magic, they were hers, expensive, and he would have to get his own "magical glasses" Ethan says, "I know where he lives." Ok- that would have been helpful information a while ago..
Thankfully, Ethan has always been very observant and he showed me right where the boy lived. I still don't understand how he knows, what kid pays attention to what kids get on the bus where? It was about a mile and a half from where we live and down a long driveway back in the woods.
When we got there, the boy, his brother and a VERY large St. Bernard came out to meet us. The little boy that had her glasses had a pink Mohawk. Hummm..... Luckily he knew just where they were and got them for me. I thanked him, and we were on our way.
On the way home I realized how lucky we were. I never saw a parent who would have known, the "older" brother didn't seem to know anything about the glasses, and after a long Easter weekend I am sure the last thing this little 7 year old pink Mowhawked kid would think about on Monday morning was to get Saroya's glasses to bring to school. We may have never seen them again! I thanked Ethan profusely for being so attentive.
Now, not only is Saroya happy about having glasses, but there is a *chance* they could be magical too! Hopefully they won't disappear again though....

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Too bad you didn't have your camera to take a picture of Pink Mohawk boy ("James")! ;)

Salem said...

What a fun story!! Probably not at the time...Maybe Saroya needs to find a different seat on the bus!