Friday, July 4, 2008

The 4th & 35th




What a great 4th of July we have had! We did a lot of the things that have become tradition (including showing up for the parade JUST as it starts but getting a front row seat anyway!) and celebrating my wonderful husband's birthday, but this year he did NOT have to work! Hurray for miracles!
I'll never ever get tired of seeing that smile! :)
Since the weather was PERFECT (mid 70's with low humidity), but not perfect for the beach, Nathan thought a hike would be fun and we knew just where to go.

The hike started out great. The kids led the way and were very excited.

Grandpa made sure everyone had a good walking stick that wanted one. The bugs were pretty intense, but we were all sprayed up so we didn't get any bites (that I know of..) Jaleigh said, "Man! All this bugs want to get me because I am so CUTE!" (Do you think she meant "sweet"?)

Before long, the terrain became a little more steep, but everyone did good. Jaleigh said, "Oh this is the running hill" and preceded to run up!

After a while my mom says- "Ok... THIS is not a trail!! Where are we?!?! What about the paved trail you like so much and there is cute little ice cream shop a long it??" Hang in there Mom, almost there!
Finally the lake!! I said, "Is there any better way to get to the beach?" My Mom says, "I can think of a few better ways.." But we were there at last and it was a beautiful sight, and a beautiful day. We had packed plenty of drinks and snacks (Thanks Mom & Dad!) so we sat a long the shoreline and watched the kids who couldn't stay out of the water. When they finally DID get out, they were so cold they had to huddle together to share body heat. Cute!

And of course we ended the night with dinner out and then the big fireworks display. I did not bring my camera to that event, which was kind of interesting. For the first time, I watched people around me. EVERYONE had a camera or cell phone in front of their faces trying to get a good shot of the show. In my mind I was like, um... you are missing the show! Anyway- it won't stop me from bringing it in the future, but instead of the BIG show, I have pictures of the Avery show that happened the night before the BIG show.





Now for the 35 reasons I love you Nathan!

You are a "real live Yankee Doodle Dandy".

You don't need big gifts to be happy (although I am sure you wouldn't mind....)

You love camping like me.

You like exercise.

You are a great cubmaster. (Good thing too, because now I am your BOSS!)

You couldn't be more happy that your family is coming out soon.

You like Grilled Cheese sandwiches with honey.

You make famous Mac & Cheese.

You happily let me have GNO's.

You allow each one of the kids to melt your heart.


You are a good provider for our family.

You are good at you job and I love going there to hear everyone brag about you.

You know how to fix almost everything.

You will always be older than me.

You bust up the kids when you play with them, but you know how to fix them...



You made breakfast for the family on YOUR birthday while we were sleeping.

You like to surprise me.

You are not easily surprised.

Everyone loves you. At Saroya & Jaleigh's gymnastics show everyone in the building got a "X" on their hand except for you...


You can make anything out of anything (more to come in future blog...)

You "won" my parents piano by plunking out a song we didn't know you knew.

You are personally absolutely committed to the gospel.

You look for ways to improve our family's spirituality.

You love family trips.

You LOVE growing things and your trees are like your other children.

You can wear shoes without socks. (I can't comprehend this!)

You are SMOKIN' hot!

You love, love, love the beach.

You don't like many sweets except chocolate and peanut butter.

You make the best pancake syrup.

You are a dare-devil.

You love bleach & Pine-sol.

You love watching TV shows about nature.

You are happiest when you are with family.

You take better pictures than me and give me sound advice on my pictures.

You love singing & drawing but don't do them NEAR enough.

WHOA! I can't be done yet! Ok- well, you are still my best friend, Ethan's Hero, Jaleigh's King, and as Saroya put it in a recent letter to you, "Throu all the fathers I can find you are the greatest of them all! I am so glad that you are my speshel dad."

I love you 35 times a million. Happy Birthday Babe!

8 comments:

Pam said...

I have to agree with every one of the items on Nathan's 35 attributes. We are so proud to have him in our family. He is our "Quiet Giant". Glad to have spent his 35th with him!

Nikki said...

Looks like a good hike- good exercise for you Mom! :) Love all the pictures. Fun fireworks pictures too. Great tribute to Nathan! Happy Birthday!!

Derek said...

Great tribute to Nathan! So true. Sounds like it was a great day! Happy Birthday!

Beth Soelberg said...

I have more than one comment (surprise!):

1. My mother would have said the same thing: "Is this a trail? Isn't there an easier way to do this?"

2. Those are beautiful pictures! But I feel the same way you do - sometimes I see people taking pictures instead of enjoying the moment.

3. Nathan sings? Seriously? When I mentioned my "nearly perfect" husband, I meant that that was the one thing I could wish for! All I can say is, don't tell the Ward Music Chairperson!

Happy Birthday, Nathan!

Sunny said...

Happy Birthday Nathan! We're so glad you stuck around through Holly's mixed messages when you were dating. Sadly Derek had to do the same! I guess it's fitting that your birthday's should be so close together. WE LOVE YOU NATHAN!

Oh and you know that picture on Derek's birthday post of Derek and mom and dad? We took them up a big hike on the first day they were in town up the thin air of Utah. Poor Mom! But she's such a trooper, isn't she?

Leanne said...

Looove the sparkler pictures. You take awesome pics Holly. I can only dream that I would be that good at it!

What a fun 4th for you all. I wished that my camera wasn't broke so I could take the up close pictures of fireworks off of Levasseurs deck. We had to crane our necks waaay back to see them since they were so close. We are so spoiled that she asks us to come over every year. I would have taken atleast one picture and then enjoyed the rest of the fireworks. We Muskies are lucky that we get to enjoy the fireworks twice in one week due to Summer Celebration. Whoo hoo!

Happy birthday Nathan! Lucky man to have a wife who loves him even tho he beats up the kids. ;) Kidding of course...no one call social services. haha

Caity said...

I love your pictures and your posts! Happy late Birthday Nathan!

John L and Lorraine said...

I sure enjoyed this tribute! I am very proud of Nathan. You both make a great team. Love Ya.