Monday, September 21, 2009

Stupid Cape Just Chokes Me Anyway

Every so often I get a superwoman complex. I feel like I need to be doing more of some things, less of other things, and everything else in between. Every other women can do it, right??

I went for the cape the other night.

uh.... yeah.

I decided I would can tomatoes, do the laundry, wash the dishes and pick up the house... all at the same time. Start time? 10:30p on a school night.

By the time the night was over I had broken 3 quart jars, dropped a nasty rusty dirty ring into the stewing tomatoes, and 5 quarts didn't seal.

In the midst of the canning, I notice that the washing machine is exceptionally loud. I opened it and noticed that the agitator was not moving. I did my best to research the problem in between blanching tomatoes, and by the end of the night, I had the washing machine torn apart.


Now the kitchen is a horrendous disaster with tomato splashes, canning supplies, tools, washing machine parts, and laundry everywhere.

Funny because things like this affect me differently than they do my husband. I just get really tired. Well- that and it is now like 2am and the kids will be up soon.

While I was quickly cleaning up what I could, I started sneezing like crazy!

Finally sleep.

Woke up the next morning, ordered the part to fix the washing machine- $2.95. Awesome!

Decided to make spaghetti sauce with the tomatoes that didn't seal for the neighbors to be nice . Great idea!


Realized that my nose was running terribly, I had a headache and my throat was on fire. Not so good.

Washing machine part will be delivered in 5-7 days. Um, yeah. That is a bag of scrubs with "stuff" on them from Nathan's work last night. Gross. 5-7 days is a long time...

Delivered a container of freshly made spaghetti sauce to the neighbors who graciously accepted, but found out later, they still had leftovers from the spaghetti they made for dinner last night.

As usual, I sit and wonder how "everyone else" does it all. I only tried to be superwoman for one night, and it all backfired.

Then I remembered something we found while cleaning out my Grandma's house.

I clearly need to be in on the secret. Anyone know where to get this stuff?? :)

7 comments:

Nikki said...

Well said Hol. I need to call you. Sorry I didn't earlier tonight, I passed out for a little while after the kids finally went to bed. I'm hoping you're not still up at 1:35AM!!
PS Go find a laundrymat tomorrow... and bring a book.

Beth Soelberg said...

I very occasionally try to do the Superwoman thing, and end up with exceptionally tired feet and a very crabby attitude. It's usually during the holidays...

Hey, my grandma seemed to be a superwoman too - do you think she had a bottle of Miracle Salt hidden somewhere in her house??? :)

Annette said...

What a day! I think we all try to be superwoman at times, its hard not to try (I guess because there are always a million things to do). I think the real superwoman in us all emerges and keeps on going when all our plans backfire (that's when I need my superwoman anyway).

Sunny said...

That always happens to me when I'm making dinner for someone else. I don't know what it is but everything falls apart when I try to. I love that you found that Miracle salt. Maybe I need to add that to the next meal I make for someone else. I'm still amazed that you fixed the washer! You ARE superwoman! No doubt!

Andrea said...

Hey I say that you are super woman because I would have just said to heck with it and headed off to bed. Oh maybe not, I have a cold too and right now that seems like the best idea.

Derek said...

Oh and if you need quart jars...JUST COME TO MY HOUSE!!! I have plenty!

John L and Lorraine said...

Writing about experiences seems to put them in a whole new perspective than we can see in the moment they are taking place. Somehow we become wiser and a few good laughs all at the same time. Your are absolutely right! the "superwomen" cape does choke us. I love you Holly!