Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Time Out

After a short very busy week, we needed more wide open spaces.

We headed up to Sleeping Bear National Park on suggestions from several friends. We had been to Sleeping Bear several years ago with Nathan's parents, but weren't really all that impressed. Apparently we didn't get the visitors map, because there was SOO much to do!

The first day we were there, we just set up camp and crashed. Nathan had just come off a 13 hour shift and I got a lovely 2 hours of sleep after getting everything ready to go. Our WONDERFUL kids just read, played games and slept until we woke up 2 hours later. It's amazing how great 2 hours of really hard sleep can feel.
We noticed that the campground was very quiet with lots of older campers, and not too many kids. It was kind of strange. One of our camping neighbors was especially nice and brought over kindling when we were having trouble starting a fire with damp wood. One night, he played his harmonica for his wife, and had Nathan & I smiling and the kids dancing around. So cool!
Then the neighbor on the other side of us... He seemed nice enough, but there was just one thing ...
He wouldn't wear pants!! He had a little black speedo (I hope that's what it was) that he wore all the time, but that's it for the lower region. I'm sorry. Can I just say? If it is cold enough to wear a sweatshirt- it is probably cold enough to wear pants. And furthermore, pants are not optional attire. Hat, yes. Pants, No. uggg.....
As we explored the area, we went on a cool scenic drive that led to a Lake Michigan Overlook. As Nathan and the kids walked down the dune to get a good look, it looked as if they had come to the end of the world! I was freaking out, so I followed them to the most unbelievable view.
Stunning blue for as far as you could see.
I decided that I love this color blue for a backdrop!
This is Ethan saying, "Can't we go all the way down??"
Can you see how steep this thing is?!?
This is Nathan telling Ethan, "Tomorrow". The kids thought it was so fun to play with my anxiety... We watched a Old Fashion Blacksmith's demonstration
and the kids helped with a re-enactment of a U.S. Lifesaving Service boat rescue.
Nathan and the kids even indulged me in a visit to Traverse City for a while, to visit an old favorite place we took Ethan as a baby. 11 years has certainly changed things there! It wasn't as magical, actually kind of gross, but it was still a great day, and the kids had fun.
While Nathan & I were NOT successfully taking a self portrait, (could you just die for that smile?! LOVE IT!!)

The kids were playing on this playground.
Miss J happened to loose one of her "favorite" earrings (every pair of earrings are her favorites!). EEK!! After about 5 or 10 minutes of searching through the sand, I earned my SuperMom cape thankyouverymuch!

Our neighbors joined us for the end of the week, and eventually the "overLOOK" became an "overCLIMB". Nathan took ALL the kids (except for Miss J) ALL the way down!! It was quite a workout, but they all made it back up!
The sun wasn't as bright the second day, so the colors weren't as vibrant, but still sooo beautiful!
I was lucky enough to get out and do some quaint "little town" shopping with the girls one day. Man- I need to do that more often!! We found some of the coolest things! One of which is something I hadn't seen since I lived in England a LONG time ago, and before that as a kid. I fell in love with these! When is the last time you saw milk being sold in glass bottles??
And who wouldn't want to eat here?? YUM!!

I am soo not ready to be done with the summer...
P.S. I am looking for some different music for my running playlist. What is your favorite exercising music?

8 comments:

Nikki said...

Once again- love all of your pictures! You almost don't need words to tell the story. What a nice getaway.

Did they have soy milk in glass bottles for you?

That Lake MIi overlook is beautiful and so steep. Holy cow! What a great blue you got off the lake that day.

LOVE your self portrait with Nathan- awesome!

Your bottom-half-nudist neighbor cracks me up- and YOU crack me up more taking his picture!!! HA!!

Nikki said...

Now, go get those kids in school! I never talk to you anymore!

Sunny said...

YEA! A post a post! Now I just need to watch February for the rest! Those bottles totally take me back to Quality creamery bottles we used to get milk in when we were little. Remember how we'd take them back to the dairy and get them filled up. I didn't realize that places did that anymore. Ahh Michigan! For so many reasons I miss Michigan. Some of which are pictured in this post. But not the half naked man! Good heavens!

Leanne said...

YOU totally crack me up!! How could anyone go around half naked in front of kids?! Oh wait...my own BROTHER would do that. You sure you didn't camp next to Lee? He was even married on the beach in a Speedo and a bow tie. Ew. Haha!

I am in love with the blue blue blue blue water photos! How often do we get to see that in MI?! Almost never. What an adventure you all went on.

I also love the Holly/Nathan photo too. Just by the smiles, we can tell how much you love spending time together.

Sunny- do you mean Quality Creamery in Comstock Park? I used to go there too! Especially after school because they had these yummy frozen chocolate malts in a little cup. They were delish!

Great post as usual Holly.

rachel said...

Two things. Wait, three things.

1) Love the post. Pics are amazing as usual.

2) When are you going to join facebook? Do it already! :)

3) When is this WDW trip? My family is having a reunion there; wouldn't it be CRAZY if it were the same time?

Love you and miss you like crazy still!

Sunny said...

Leanne- Yep that would be quality creamery in Comstock park! LOVE IT! ;)

Beth Soelberg said...

First off - Rachel, you need to BE THERE! Thanksgiving through Dec. 5 (ish).

I love the self-portrait. You both have great smiles :)

I have some good songs to run to. (Not that I necessarily know this from personal experience.) I'll burn a CD.

Dave said...

Nice Post!! I think your outdoorsing is great, and sharing those great pictures are famous. Love the (successful) self portrait... and the lake shots - almost as beautiful as Cancun (who needs to travel to Mexico to see beautiful water?)