Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Disney Dilemma

I need advice. We have been planning a trip to Disney World for next year. We have been scouring the Internet and talking to friends and have gotten some great ideas and hints so far. However, a few things have been bugging me about this whole thing.

First of all, I wonder if the kids will be old enough to enjoy and REMEMBER everything. I was talking to a couple of people tonight who said, "My daughter was in kindergarten and she doesn't remember it at all." Another said, "Well- I don't really remember it. I was only in like 3rd grade when I went." Ok- That takes care of two of my kids, and the other one is younger than that! Someone suggested to wait until my kids were 13 10 & 7. That seems like you would be too old to get into it. I must say that I only went to Disneyland once when I was 18 and I was more interested in the boy that came with us, than any of the attractions. He WAS the attraction for me. So when is the perfect time? I guess this doesn't have to be the ONLY time we go, but we are kind of cheap. Maybe this will be the only time we feel like spending this much money on something like this.

The next thing is that we are not really "Disney people". We don't rush right out to buy every Disney DVD ever made, or even rush to the theater to see every movie. Saroya really does NOT like Disney Princesses, & Ethan seems to like Cars ok, but he is kind of getting to like "older" movies, not cartoons. Jaleigh LOVES Disney Princesses but we don't have cable, so she dosen't watch any shows that are on the Disney channel. Plus she is the one that will probably remember it the least! I keep trying to get excited... well- I am excited. But I think that I am more excited about having a family trip than going to Disney World. I try to get in Disney mode by going to the Disney store or looking on the website, but I am un-inspired. I can't even find anything I REALLY want to buy there. (And that is BIG for me because I can usually justify buying anything!) We are usually the kind of people that have our best vacations somewhere you can't buy a t-shirt. Is this trip all wrong for us? Or is Disney for everyone?

Nathan & I have talked about just staying home and buying a camper or wave runner with the money we would have spent going to Disney World. Nathan actually mentioned that to Ethan who was right on board with that idea instead. But by not going- are we depriving our kids of some fantastic magical journey? I mean it is "Where Dreams Come True", right? Plus everyone that has been there seems to be so passionate about it. "Should I stay or should I go now?" (sorry I had to...) Should we go to Florida,go to just the Magical Kingdom and then hang out on the beach? We've never been to Florida. I don't know. I really am looking for some advice before we make a decision. I don't want to go and think, "Wow.. I can't believe we spent so much money on that". and I don't want to go years from now and think, "Why did we wait so long". HELP!!!! :)

5 comments:

Beth Soelberg said...

Hi Holly! I left a super-lengthy reply on my blog if you want to check it out.

If you plan well and are realistic about how much you can do, I think you'll have a great time. On the other hand, if you decide not to go, you can always go later and the kids will have a good time then, too!

I'll support you no matter what you decide.

Still, we'll be there in Feb., so if you go, maybe we can hang out!

Also, I love your blog, and you're wonderful. Just wanted you to know!

Greg Garrick said...

I went and read Beth's log about DW and I have to agree whole heartedly. It will not be like any other vacation you've ever been on & I would be extremely suprised if you come back disappointed. I really enjoy going when it's not too hot and not too crowded (not easy.) Using the disney resort extra hours is priceless when you get to stay late or go early.
I know the kids will enjoy the rides and watching Jaleighs face when she meets her princesses will be worth it! (This is the perfest age for her to meet her princesses!) Take lots of pictures- it will help her remember.
The kids know Disney Characters, but they don't have to be obsessed with them to enjoy the parks. Maybe this means you won't spend as much time on the parades or in line for autographs (except for the princesses of course!)
I know you'll love to spend lots of time at the water parks- the cleanest and nicest you've ever been to! I can see Ethan and Nathan wanting to take surfing lessons at Typhoon Lagoon!
I'd bet the hardest part would be that you'll get home and they'll be asking how soon they can go again. :)

Caity said...

I say go when the kids are older and spend you rmoney on a trip your all excited about. I love WDW, but if nobody is excited, doesn't that tell you something? I mean, especially if your kids are telling you they don't want to go? Give a few years, then bring it up again with everybody. Just my opinion. But just so you know, I went to WDW and Alaska at the same age and I remember a ton more about Alaska.

Greg Garrick said...

I suppose you should just wait til they can go with their cousins...since that would be even more memorable! :)

Derek said...

Okay...here's my 2 cents. First, a disclaimer: I'm basing everything I say about Disneyland and not Disney World, so...here goes....

First, I think it's a good sign that you are more excited about a family trip than the fact that it is Disney World. It's the things you do as a family when you are there and the memories that you create together that make it special. When Sunny and I went last year, it was my first time going to Disneyland. What made it so special was all the things that we got to do together.

Remember that, although the Disney Resorts are relatively safe compared to the rest of the world, be on the lookout for pick-pockets. Getting our camera stolen left a bad taste in our mouth (largely because we lost all of the great shots we had taken).

Also, if your walking by and someone offers you a free lunch, RUN!!! You might get stuck listening to a high-pressure time share spiel. You might get 100 Disney bucks, but in the end it's just not worth it. :-)

I agree with Nik. You should TOTALLY not worry about the kids being into Disney stuff. There are plenty of things to keep them entertained, especially if you are going to go to more than just the main park. For example, at Disney MGM-Studios they have stuff like the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, Muppet Vision 3-D (which was pretty cool at Disneyland), Star Tours (I know Ethan & Saroya would love to go on that with their Uncle Derek), Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (probably only Ethan is tall enough), and some others that I'm sure they'd like. Not to mention there are few things better than Space Mountain and Splash Mountain.

One of the cool things that they have started to do now is to have people around the park who will take photos of you and your family as you go about your festivities. When we went, you had to pay for them, but I guess now they will just email you the pictures. I'm sure if you want a high-res version, you'd still need to pay for it, but that's still pretty cool.

Try to plan on having extra money in your budget for little extras that make it fun. Mouse ears with your name embroidered on the back, a chocolate covered banana, a churro, or a $2 bottle of water. Food and drinks are especially expensive in the park and when you are hot and tired, it's nice to not need to go back to the hotel room. Either work it into your plan or just decide that you are okay getting ripped in the shorts by the capitalistic regime that control the Disney Resorts.

Even with getting our camera stolen, I think it was well worth the money. Probably the most fun would be to all go together as a big extended family. From what I hear, that is the best because then you can switch off who is watching the kids and the adults can go on some of the rides together. I'd love to see you, Nik, Sun, and your mom on the Tower of Terror!

If you do decide to go, check out Get Away Today Vacations. That is who we went through for our Disneyland trip and it was really reasonable.

Best of luck on deciding! At some point, whether you go next year or not, we will need to all go as a family. It would be a party!

I didn't intend to write a novel, but.... :-) Sorry!