Saturday, July 14, 2007

We <3 New York!

Here is your fair warning... This post covers a whole week. I promise not to do it again! :)


We just got back from a great trip to visit my sister and her family in New York. We got there late on Saturday night the 7th so we pretty much just hugged and crashed. On Sunday at my sisters ward they had what was called a "Friendship Sunday". At first I thought it sounded a little corny, but it turned out to be pretty cool. The whole sacrament meeting was geared toward people not of our faith. The speakers were so great, lots of people commented that they wish they had a recording of the talk to share with friends. I guess that was the purpose of "Friendship Sunday"... bring your friends. Anyway- I spent the remainder of church in nursery with Jaleigh. After church they had a "Salads" bar and everyone stayed, chatted, and ate yummy salads. People actually stayed for at least an hour! Plus I got to meet the guy that inspired Jon Heder's interpretation of Napoleon Dynamite . Wow... Anyway. It was a nice Sunday.


On Monday the kids (and Grandpa) spent the day in the pool. It was a nice hot day and the kids had a blast. I held the hose for the slide on the swing set to make it a water slide. : )








The kids also wanted us to take a bike ride to a creek that is a couple blocks from her house. After being there for a few minutes someone mentioned that it looked like Terabithia. So from then on that is what it was called and the magic began almost immediately. It was so fun to see their imaginations at work.





Tuesday was just as hot and sweaty so we went to a nearby amusement park for the day. We started off at a few rides but it was so hot it wasn't long before we were in the water park. Everyone had a blast! Wave pool (until someone puked in it...yum.) lazy river, water slides, and kiddie pool. It was so much fun and the adults took turns staying with the little kids so the others could go on the fun more adult rides with the big kids.








Wednesday was a rainy yucky day so we took the kids to an open gym at a gymnastics place nearby. The kids just ran and jumped and played and the adults just snapped pictures.




Later that night we celebrated Jaleigh's 3rd Birthday with one of my sisters spectacular cakes fit for a princess.





This is a picture of Princess Jaleigh and all of the "guards" that watched out for her on her birthday!



After the party, gosh it must have been 10:00 the kids were begging to go into the pool. It was only about 75 degrees outside (if that!) but Nikki & I decided to let them have the experience of swimming in the pitch black when the water is warmer than the air. They just squealed with delight. I think that will be a memory that will last for a long time... :)



Thursday we went to Palmyra NY to see some church historical sites and the Pageant. I was so amazed with all the late nights and busy days, how enthralled the kids were at the Pageant. It doesn't even start until 9pm but all the kids (including the little ones) stayed awake and interested. At one point the man depicting Jesus says, "My joy is now full." and Jaleigh turns around to me and says very matter-of-factly, "Momma- He's full now..." It was classic. I loved watching Ethan and Saroya know what was going to happen next because they know the stories. In fact Ethan got annoyed with Saroya because when the wicked Nephites were killing the Lamanites she kept saying, "You just WAIT!! They will get you next time!!" Totally worth the late nights and long days!



Friday morning we got up (me sick because I ate buttered popcorn the night before...) and took one last trip to "Terabithia" before the final send off. Lots of hugs all around and talk of plans for when they they come here for a visit in 2 weeks. Thank you so much Dad for coming with us and to the my sister and her family for having us and for being so much fun to be around. We can't wait to see you again!

On the way home to Michigan, we stopped in Kirtland and I thought I would share a few of my favorite pictures. Thanks for hanging on for the long haul with this post!

1 comment:

Salem said...

I LOVE the long post! I want to go on that trip!! It looks like it was tons of fun. I could not even recognize the Garrick kids!!! That makes me feel old. I love the picture of the flowers in front of the Kirtland temple.