Monday, July 30, 2007

Sisters, Sisters....

"To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time." ~Clara Ortega

When we were all young my sisters and I would gather together on someones bed, behind closed doors and have "sister meetings". I don't remember what was discussed in those meetings, but I loved the bond that we had. We were sisters and no one could take that away. Sure, there were times we wanted to strangle each other, tell on each other, scream, yell and fight. But above all, we were sisters and we loved to be together. Of all the childhood memories, most of them are with us all playing house,"The Price is Right", Fisher Price Little People, walking to Vogels grocery store with whatever change we could find, playing in the creek behind the library for hours on end, and the list goes on. I never think about the bad times, fights or injustices we felt we had. I hope it is the same for my sisters.

They have seen me at my very worst and don't hold it against me. They have seen me be insanely goofy, rude, crude, and giggle about "garbage" and they love me anyway. They laugh with me, cry with me, fill in the gaps when talking about the past, and I am just so thankful to have sisters. Especially the ones I have.

"How do people make it through life without a sister?" ~Sara Corpening

I was lucky to have both of my sisters here for a week after our dad's retirement party. We had sooo much fun! As exciting as it was for us to be together, it was so great to see all of our kids together. My sister Sunny brought her new baby Hyrum for us all to meet for the first time! It was perfect! We looked through some of my sisters boxes of "treasures" that she has saved since she was a kid. It was fun to see the different memories that we each had of the same things.

We had an extended family picnic on Saturday and it was so nice to catch up with my dad's siblings and my cousins. We used to see each other all the time growing up at Grandma & Grandpa's farm. It's just kinda sad that we don't see each other more than just Christmas now. It was fun to get to know one of my cousin's new wife, another cousin and his adorable wife pregnant with their first baby, and another cousin and his family before they leave to move to Utah. I can't wait for Christmas to catch up again!



On Sunday- after we all went to church together, we had an extended family get together with my mom's side of the family. Again- so great to see everyone. I wish every weekend was like this! We took a few pictures of all the grand kids together for all of us to have. We figured with all three of us taking pictures, at least one would work..

We were able to take some pictures of Great Grandma & Great Grandpa (aka Grandma and Grandpa Old Ears) with all the little kids. It was quite a challenge- but well worth it!

1 comment:

Greg Garrick said...

It was a good week- thanks for everything Hol. And Holly & Sunny-thanks for being such great sisters. Love you.