Sunday, August 19, 2007

Fall Preview

With the first hint of coolness in the air I am immediately energized and excited. I want to put on my sweatshirt, make beef stew, drink hot spiced apple cider, bake bread and I LONG to be outdoors. I want to hike, roller blade, canoe, bike, walk, run, and savor up every last drop of *perfect* weather. More than any other season, we try to really take advantage of each fall day we can.

We have had a fall preview the past few days with highs in the low to mid 60's. It was so exciting to wake up to a chill in the house. I couldn't resist decorating for fall and lighting my Applewood candle. Yummy. We have taken a few bike rides, made stew, and even enjoyed putting socks on! We went to the car races with some friends on Friday night and there was just something about the roar of the cars, the smell of... whatever that smell was, and the cool night air. It was so fun. I love having new experiences with the kids.


Another reason I like the fall especially where we live is during the summer the beaches that are close to our house are always very crowded. It's almost as if once school is back in session we get the beaches back to ourselves. The tourists have gone home, and there is a peacefulness about the beach. As much as I love the beach in the summer, there is something about bundling up and watching the sunset, or just walking along the beach. We moved here in the fall right before Ethan started Kindergarten. Saroya & I picked him up from school after one of his first days and he said, "I am hot. Can we go to the beach?" I thought about it and said, "Sure!" We grabbed a $5 pizza and within 15 minutes we were there. That was one of my first, "Wow" moments of living here and realizing how much I was going to love it.


I know it will warm up soon- forecasts say it will be in the 90's and humid by mid week. That's ok too. I know with fall comes back to school, tight schedules, homework, sports, scouts and not much free time. I long for the days when we could just go for a fall hike in the middle of the day anytime the weather was good, we could go to the apple orchard during the week when it wasn't busy, and we weren't trying to fit fun in. We just had it. I remember a funny last minute fall camping trip where we set up our tent in the dark and only brought marshmallows and every blanket in our house. I was so bummed because I really wanted a campfire and we didn't have wood. Nathan said, "I will be right back." A couple of minutes later I see him emerge from the bathroom with his arms FULL of toilet paper and TP streaming from behind him. He looked like a mummy. We laughed so hard we cried, but we had our fire.... for a few minutes. :)

In the words of the wonderful Chris Carrabba

We watch the season
Pull up it’s own stakes
And catch the last weekend
Of the last week
Before the gold and the glimmer have been replaced
Another sun soaked season fades away


So for the remaining two weeks we have before school starts, we will soak up every last drop of summer and tuck it away for a icy cold (but beautiful) winter day.

No comments: