Wednesday, August 29, 2007

It's Jerry Time!!


I know this is a random entry but I have been putting off blogging again until I could completely "catch up". Decided that wasn't going to happen until we settle into a new school routine, so here goes randomness..

I was flipping through the channels tonight and I came across "Jerry Lewis's MDA Telethon". Oh yeah- it's Labor Day weekend. I can't remember when it started- maybe my parents would remember- but I fell in love with Jerry Lewis! I don't remember what movie I saw first, but he was so funny! No other movies made me laugh as hard. I remember being home sick and watching Jerry Lewis movies... over and over and over! My favorites were "Who's Minding the Store", "The Nutty Professor", "The Giesha Boy", "Rock-A-Bye Baby", and I I think I saw "Cinderfella" and "The Bellboy" but I don't remember those too much. I would LOVE to own a few of his movies (can you believe I have none!!) but they are so hard to find. I want to see "Who's Minding the Store" again- that was my favorite! I found a used VHS copy on e-bay for over $20.00 and the auction isn't up for 2 more days...I really wish I could just rent the movies and see if I like them now as much as I did back then. I also wonder if my kids would like them. Hey- if they'll watch all SIX episodes of Star Wars... PLEASE!! I think I had a secret crush on him too. He was so innocent and cute! Ok- I have to post a clip. This is terrible quality and has subtitles but it is hilarious. Note that every lady is wearing a dress and stiletto heels. Also check out the lady that dives over the table. Reminds me a bit of the day after Thanksgiving shopping(minus the dresses and stiletto's!)I love Jerry!!





Anyway- I loved Jerry Lewis soo much and I only saw him in his younger years, so when I found out he did a telethon- I watched non stop! I watched every year and I always called in a pledge to the MDA. Sort of ironic that later I would marry a guy who's family is so greatly affected by Muscular Dystrophy. It is interesting that Jerry Lewis has never said why he has been involved with fundraising for the MDA for more than 50 years. He says it is more important that he is involved than why he is involved. True. With all the diseases and afflictions that plague us today- it's nice to see this one is still supported in such a big way. His goal in the telethon is always to raise "one dollar more" than the previous year. Last year's total was over 61 million. (No I don't remember that- I looked it up!! :) I guess this is all just a way to say that even though he has gotten a little old and weird in a weird way- I still love ol' Jerry and don't forget to watch some of(AND DONATE TOO!!) Jerry's Telethon.

3 comments:

Beth Soelberg said...

Okay, so it's bizarre that we're all up late on a Sunday night. I just read Rachel's blog too! Thanks for the great entry. I never watched Jerry Lewis movies but ALWAYS watched the telethon as a kid. Also love the video clip!

Nikki said...

Holly, remember when we deided to pledge $10 together ($5 each)?

Leanne said...

Hi Holly....I'm finally posting on your blog. And I have my own blog too now. Scary isn't it?! Check it out. It won't be as great as yours, but it will be fun for me.

Anyway, I've always loved the young Jerry Lewis and watched the telethon religiously when I was young (could that be because back then there was no cable television?!). I loved all of his movies too. You're right that he is a little weird now. Bummer. I also remember when Scott Kramer went on his mission to Vegas. He went to Jerry's house and was chased away by Jerry personally. Again, Bummer. I choose to think of him as the young Jerry from now on :)