Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Christmas

This morning the kids let us sleep until 8:30a! YEA! Then we actually held them off until 9am so we had about a half an hour just to lay in bed and talk before getting started. That hasn't happened in a long time. It was so nice. Nathan doesn't remember many experiences from his childhood, so it was so sweet when he shared a Christmas memory he had as a child. He remembered one year he and his 3 brothers stayed up ALL night long listening to music, waiting for Christmas morning. He remembers it taking sooo long for morning to come, but that they were so excited. He said that he didn't remember what he got for Christmas that year, but the feeling of excitement he felt was still vivid. I can just see him in my minds eye. Cute!

After we finally got up, this is what I saw in the door of Saroya & Jaleigh's room... (yes those are tights Jaleigh insisted on sleeping in...) They were so excited! I made everyone stop for a picture before we got started with the presents. You know you don't have enough family pictures when you like the picture that was taken as soon as everyone got out of bed and didn't prepare at all. I've got to us the timer more on my camera!! Yes- we had to switch a few presents after they were opened because they were labeled to the wrong person, but it mostly went off without a hitch. Since Nathan knew everything he was getting, I decided to surprise him by making his mom's recipe for granola when he was at work on Sunday. I can't believe I kept it secret until today!! :) He loved it!
As Jaleigh ripped through her presents she would yell out with all the passion she could muster "This is the BEST present I never, never, never want!!" or "This is almost 'zactly what I wanted!" Some times she would just hug it and say, "I love you! I love you!!" It was so funny because she was just trying to come up with new words she thought would REALLY express how excited she was. She didn't realize it was doing the opposite. :)
Most sentimental gift of the year award goes to my brilliant sister Sunny and her Tech-Savvy husband for giving each family a copy of a CD they recorded from a tape of my Grandma Nellie (who died almost 8 years ago?) reading Mr. Fussy, and a book to go along with it. It is really incredible. My kids have randomly asked questions about her so I am so happy to have them connect with her in this way. Thanks so much you guys!!

We had our traditional Christmas Breakfast with all the fixings after presents & stockings. This tradition was started originally by my grandpa's sister Ruth a LONG time ago, but she has since passed, and we have continued the tradition in our own home. The things I remember the most about Christmas morning breakfast at Aunt Ruth's house are:

*She always had a Christmas ornament in her tree that was a singing bird. Every year I would search the tree until I could find it.

*She had the most magical golden silverware, and she always set it at the kids table. She must have known how much we loved it.

*Immediately following breakfast she would pass around the most beautiful petits fours from Swiss Colony,


and a Whitman's Sampler without the "messenger boy" chocolate because my uncle Randy got to it first. I think this was the only time we got to eat dessert right after breakfast!

*We always got books from her for Christmas. (She was a principal at a local school and loved books.)

*She had a very small house, but it's funny because I never remember feeling like we didn't have enough room for everyone.

Sorry for the digression, but you know this is a personal history for me too, so when the history comes out, I gotta let it flow...

Back to this year.

We spent the rest of the day putting things together, reading directions, inserting batteries and trying out new things. We ate terrible, but didn't worry too much about it. Nathan had to go to work, so we just relaxed. Tonight before bed, the kids and I watched "The Christmas Story".

It was a long day, but it was relaxing. I loved watching the kids delight in their new things, and play happily all day long. We talked with family everywhere and it felt like we weren't far away for a little while. As I went to check on them tonight after midnight, I realized their radios were again playing "regular" music. I got a tinge of sadness knowing that it is really over. I turned on the TV and noticed that QVC was still showing Christmas stories and music and watched for a little bit. (Sad when you watch QVC for "enjoyment"...) I love every holiday and look forward to New Years Eve, but before I leave it for good this year, just one last quote I love by Charles Dickens.

"Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childhood days, recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth, and transport the traveler back to his own fireside and quiet home!"

7 comments:

Derek said...

Sounds like a great Christmas! We missed all the fun festivities (especially the caroling) that comes with Christmas in Michigan. We're already excitedly planning next year and you can enlist our assistance in fixing Nathan's wagon so he doesn't know what he's getting next year. ;)

Nikki said...

You beat me to it... but I finally just knocked out 2 posts on mine.
Looks like a very nice Christmas day. Love the family picture! Love it- everyone looks really good for just waking up! That should be your Christmas/New Years card photo this year!!!!
Jaleigh is so funny! Did you really get petit fours and Whitmans Sampler for your own family breakfast? Good memories! Do you remember the smell of coffee at Aunt Ruth's? Uncle Mark thinks I'm crazy to not remember that, but I don't!
Sunny & Derek are going to GR next Christmas?? hmmmm...

Leanne said...

Awww Holly....what a great post.

I wrote about hiding presents in my latest post too. Since I doubt my kids will read this comment, I'll fill you in on my secret hiding places. #1: On top of my kitchen cupboards! I don't remember if your cupboards go all the way to the ceiling or not, but if they don't, the flat presents fit really well :)
#2: In a box that would normally hold something else. Hee hee. My box was the ShopVac box. I just replaced the ShopVac with presents. They never knew and it was right under their noses all along :)

Leanne said...

Oops...I put my last comment in the wrong spot. It was meant for your stinky Christmas post...hee hee

Leanne said...

Oops...I put my last comment in the wrong spot. It was meant for your stinky Christmas post...hee hee

Leanne said...

Geesh! And now I've posted the same thing twice! It's my computer. Really..it is! haha.

Sunny said...

Holly what do you remember us eating for breakfast? All I can remember is scrambled eggs and those little sausages, because that's all I would eat. Well for breakfast, dessert was another story.