Saturday, December 22, 2007

We Stink at Christmas

Well- I guess I shouldn't say that we stink at Christmas, just the commercial aspect of it. Three weeks ago, Ethan found all his presents, then Jaleigh found hers, and just last week, Nathan discovered what he was getting. That leaves Saroya and I being the only ones who will be surprised come Christmas morning. However, Saroya told Santa last week that she couldn't think of anything she wanted for Christmas, and I don't know what I am getting because I don't think Nathan hasn't gotten it yet...

A couple of days ago Nathan offered to wrap the Christmas presents. I thought, "OH GREAT! Maybe we won't have to stay up all night long on Christmas eve!" Before he went downstairs he said, "There is a Barbie magnetic play set downstairs... who is that present for?" Then comes a holler from Jaleigh in the next room- "That's for me Dad! That's my present!" Um... she's right... I thought she would forget.
The next night I went down to help him finish wrapping and discovered a few more reasons we stink. First, the presents that he did wrap before, were all in the storage room in plain sight of the kids who frequent that very room. Second and perhaps the most unfortunate, is that he did not put a tag on anything. Nothing. "I'll remember what it was..." We spent the rest of the night shaking, feeling and peeking in the wrapped presents. I will say it made me laugh. It is really funny to see him wrap presents anyway. Just stick the box in the middle and roll the paper around it. Too much paper at the sides? No such thing. Just bunch it up and tape it down. He makes me laugh. "Um, honey?.. Did you take the price tags off?..."

Here is just a little note to myself along those lines.... When the dollar store is going out of business and they have everything for 25 cents... don't buy Christmas wrapping paper. The great deal may just distort your idea of what cute paper is and in December you realize that even if they were giving it away for free- it wouldn't be worth it.

The girls wanted me to do their hair in rollers for Christmas Sunday tomorrow. I wasn't sure about how it would look, and I have tried with Saroya's hair before and it comes out pin straight (Avery trait??) but they wanted to try so I did. They looked so stinkin' cute I just had to post a picture.
Also a picture that I think is adorable of Ethan even though he is still mad at me for cutting his hair "too short" and said he wasn't going to leave the house until it grows back. I know, I stink...

Here is something that we are good at though... having fun in the snow! Who needs a snowmobile??

5 comments:

Dave said...

I, too, think we lose a lot pursuing the commercial christmas. though I should not talk. I have often voted for homemade gifts, and this year, now retired, did not do much with that (still trying to get all the "put off " list done first, I guess - but it will probably never end).
Anyway, the clip shares what looks like great fun...until the last frame! It looks like something very unfortunate is going to happen!! Tell me it was OK.

Holly said...

I know, it looks scary huh? It was just the angle I was shooting from. It was ok. :)

I don't know how sad I am about not being a good at this part of Christmas. Sometimes I am torn. I usually just say, "Oh well..." :)

Should I make my order for next year?? It has something to do with a manger puzzle...

Nikki said...

Ethan, you look cool in short hair, but it'll grow out before you know it! S & J- too cute in rollers! Holly, you do kind of stink at the hiding gifts thing, but think of all of the memories and funny stories you have to tell and remember! Nathan's wrapping- well this is why I do it all myself. Frustrated Greg too much- although I was VERY impressed that he actually wrapped my gifts this year!! (Usually the store does it)
Merry Christmas!

Um, and way too scary for me. You always let your kids be daredevils- I'm too chicken. It's probably better that you let your kids do things... I'm always forbidding such things. And let's see our track record... We've been to the ER with 2 kids with injuries, you have 0 injury ER trips right?

Nikki said...

Leanne had good ideas for hiding. I've heard of using empty suitcases, and wrapping small thing in aluminum foil and putting in the freezer. I use empty packing boxes in storage, the emptied Christmas decorations boxes, and big black trash bags or more empty boxes in the garage. (Just make sure you and Nathan know which trash bags are presents so they don't go out to the curb.)

Sunny said...

Me too! ME TOO Dad! i want a manger puzzle too. Dang i should have made one when I had the chance. Michaels in Orem was having a class to make them the year Derek and I were engaged. I didn't go because it was like an all day thing and I didn't want to be away from Derek that long. I should have just had him come along. Ethan I like your hair short. I think it looks cool too. Holly I'm impressed with your hair cutting skills.