Monday, December 24, 2007

Over the River and Through the Woods...

Every Christmas Eve we have the same tradition and I love it! We always start at my parents house and it was no different this year. I think Nathan was the most excited about being there...Just kidding. He really was. He worked last night and didn't get much sleep so he decided to make use of the 15 minutes we had before everyone got there. I think he actually slept for a while once everyone was there too... (I love his red sweater and green socks! He is so festive!)

Anyway, once we gather, we usually talk to relatives that can't be with us from Arizona, Texas, Montana, New York & Utah. Sometimes it's through the web cam, so we sit and wave at the computer. "Hi, we miss you!"Hopefully before too long we gather and eat some dinner. In the past we have had soups or sandwiches, but this year we had a meal with a Mexican flair. We even listened to a Ricky Martin on a Christmas CD... (Ok, I am laughing too. And yes, I did know all the words...)

After we are too full to sit any longer, we pile into cars and go Christmas caroling. This is probably my favorite part of Christmas Eve.

We have some "regulars" that we always carol to, but we definitely have sung to a lot of empty houses. At least we think they are empty! Anyway- it just gives us more practice, so we don't mind.

I love caroling at all the houses we go to, but when we go to one of our long time friends house, they are always having a family gathering. More and more come to the door as we sing and they seem genuinely excited to have us. By the time we are done they are usually bursting out the door and in windows- some dressed like Shepard's, Mary, Joseph and others from the First Christmas. It seems like this is always our last stop. Maybe that's so we end on a high note? I loved that this year the kids were begging to go to "just one more house".

Once we get home, we get all the desserts out while someone reads the Christmas story from the scriptures. In this picture the girls are being "stars" over the manger as we read. (Side note- this is a manger that we all played with extensively as kids. It all fits into the manger as a puzzle. Someday I hope someone that is retired will make one for my family... :) (Sorry- I had to add this picture of Nathan's famous "spoon fudge" which was previously a fudge ball as opposed to a cheese ball. If you were there, you would laugh...)"Grandma Old Ears" started a tradition several years ago that we have an empty manger with some hay on the side. Every time someone does something nice anonymously, they can put a piece of hay in the manger. After we get done reading the Christmas story, we place baby Jesus on a manger made soft by all the good deeds done during the season.

Soon after that the kids are drawn to the windows in search of Santa's sleigh. They listen intently for the jingle of his bells. (This is one of my most vivid memories of Christmas Eve as a child, except it was at my Uncle Dick & Aunt Barb's house. It was so magical.) After a couple of minutes, there he is! He only stays for a few minutes but he always brings a few presents that we get to open that night... PAJAMAS!! We exchange a few family presents and then pack up and head home. The kids always fall asleep just the same way I did as a child, on the way home with Christmas music playing softly in the background. I am so thankful to share the same traditions with my children that made Christmas so special to me. Merry Christmas!!

3 comments:

Nikki said...

I miss it all! I wish I was there to be in on the inside jokes! I wish I could be in the caroling picture! I wish I could've seen the Jones' and Richmond's bursting out the door! I wish I was there to see the girls being nativity stars! I wish I had one of those nativity sets too!

Leanne said...

Geesh Nikki..you wish-a-holic! Haha.

Nice post Holly. I'm interested in the "spoon fudge". Was it good?!

I swear I remember the straw idea from when I was a teenager, so your family has been doing it a long time (I'm old now ya know). What a neat tradition.

Sunny said...

Whatever Nik, you're the birthrite child you are going to inherit the wooden nativity scene. And plus you live a lot closer than I do so you COULD go home more often. I wanted to gift the straw and manger idea to Derek's second families but you cannot find mangers anywhere. Or single baby Jesuses for that matter. I'll bet you inherit that too. :)