Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Dodging Bullets

When I got in the car this morning I noticed every compartment open and papers strewn around. My first thought was, "What was Nathan looking for?" Then immediately realized if Nathan had really been looking for something, the van would have been cleaner than it was in the first place. I noticed even the video screen open. Our van had been broken into.

I guess "broken into" isn't really what happened because the door was unlocked. Then they wouldn't have to break the window, right? ;) I did a quick check and realized my makeup bag was gone. Who steals a makeup bag?? Seriously! Just someone trying to tick me off I am sure.

I spent the next 45 minutes on the phone trying to get an appointment with the Doctor because Ethan has a nasty skin infection on his knee. This is our 4th time dealing with this (probably) so we kind of know the drill. I finally got the appointment... 3:50p. Since it was only 9:45a I decided to take Ethan to school.

When I went to get him from school to take him to the appointment, he is limping like crazy. I chalk it up to being dramatic around his friends and we head off to his appointment.

We got to go to a "private" entrance because of the infection. Cool!! :) It is right in the back by the patient rooms so we got to watch the nurses (and listen to them mumble about patients and the doctor!! :) and doctor go from room to room. We found out he was running 1 hour behind schedule.

When the doctor finally got there he was concerned. I have never seen him this concerned. He is usually very low key. He was concerned that the infection was soo deep and fast moving, it had spread to his joint. He pushed and squeezed soo hard on Ethan's knee, globs of junk were coming out. Ethan was crying, but trying to be tough. I was loosing it and thought I was going to be sick. Finally he said he wanted us to go to the ER to get a second opinion. I was so embarrassed when the doctor shook my had at the end because my had was all sweaty!! And remember, I am still make-up free... BLAH!

We got a room at the ER pretty quickly and the Doctor was waiting for us. He said he didn't think the infection was in his joint, but because the infection was spreading soo quickly he wanted to do a dose of IV antibiotics.

Ethan wasn't happy to get the IV, but again was so tough. 10 minutes after he started getting the meds, he started itching.

Then it got more and more intense. His face was beet red and he was crying and itching and burning. I ran to get the doctor.

Of course he was having a reaction to the medication so they quickly stopped the meds and gave him 3 other meds to counter act the reaction. Seriously!

Finally, after a nap and some strict instruction from the ER doc that if his fever went up anymore he was to come back in and he was to see the pediatrician first thing in the morning to evaluate the progress, we came home.

After a day when you just want to scream "UNCLE!!" you realize that you end up feeling so thankful for the blessings we have.

Thankful for the reminder that I really should lock my van.
Thankful for the realization that my purse was in the van all along, but it was in the very back and untouched.
Thankful for caring doctors and nurses and medications that can help us when we really need it.
Thankful that this morning his knee is still disgusting, but looking better.
Thankful for the priesthood, my husband and the peace and that brings to us all.
Thankful for our bodies that heal quickly.
Thankful the neighbor dog found my makeup bag... but it was empty.

Realizing that all day today I haven't been being shot down, but dodging bullets....

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Oh my word! I can't believe what a day you had. And I can't believe I'm reading about Ethan here instead having heard from you in person. What an ordeal.

Good attitude you're having about it all though. And too bad that dog can't show you where he found the bag, I bet your makeup is laying on the ground there.

Saying prayers for Ethan. This thing needs to be done already.

Beth Soelberg said...

Holly! What a "Jonah" day! Can I bring you dinner???

I talked with Nathan a little about the MRSA problem...he tells me it originated at the Double JJ. No matter where it came from, I hope it leaves SOON. You're a good mom, you follow your gut, and it shows in your kids.

Scary about your van being "broken into" - we have heard of many vehicles in our neighborhood being broken into, so now our cars are secured in the garage, locked, purse inside. I don't like feeling as though "somebody's watching me." (Remember that song??)

Sending good vibes.

Leanne said...

Somewhere in LC is a very well made up robber and the eye shadow is just his shade. Ugh. Some people. Sorry you had a bad day Holly, but atleast you can look for the good in it.I admire that. I'd be whining and moaning about it all.

So Ethan really DID have drainage? I remember talking to you on Sunday and you thought he didn't have it. It sure must have been waaaay deep. Poor guy. He has been thru this enough. Keep us updated on how his appt goes and if you find out what exactly it was. Having had the MRSA myself I know how it hurts and I hope he isn't one of those people that gets a chronic case. Actually, I've never heard of anyone getting a chronic case. :(

Dave said...

Oh Ethan, Oh Holly! What a day! But it sounds like you took Elder Wirthlin's counsel to heart (from last conference).
So you're going to lock your car, but if you leave it out of the garage, I guess next time they could break a window. Hopefully there isn't a next time! It always seemed so peaceful and safe out there where you are. I guess you have to lock yourself in no matter where you are these days.

Andrea said...

So is everything else still standing? The girls and Nathan are okay? Your house didn't blow up? Any pictures of Ethan's icky knee? I like gross stuff. Aidan says "poor Ethan"