Saturday, November 1, 2008

Going, Going, GONE!!!

Something wonderful happened today. Today, my kids sold their candy. They took out 2 or three pieces (except Jaleigh, who GORGED herself last night to get rid of it apparently...) and then took it to a local godsend dentist that paid them $1.00 a pound for it.
As soon as we got there, there were staff waiting at the door with goodie bags filled with stickers, light up toothbrushes and even a free TCBY ice cream coupon! Then they gave the girls (Ethan was at a hockey game so he couldn't come) a paper to fill out to be entered into a drawing for an X Box 360 (and a drawing for adults to win an electric toothbrush!). Then it was time to unload!

The whole office was making a big deal about how much candy they had (I'm sure they did that with everyone) and how glad they were that the girls brought it in.
SEVEN POUNDS!! Saroya was stunned! She was just hoping for ONE pound. The dentist made it even more exciting for the kids by giving them "golden coins" as Saroya calls them.

The coolest thing about this is that the dentist is working with a charity to send the candy (and some toothbrushes!!) to our troops in Iraq. They made a big card and had the kids sign it to go along with the delivery. Saroya wrote "I hope you like candy!!" :) Saroya is sure that our troops will share her candy with Iraqi children who "have never tasted candy before."

I have seen pictures and heard numerous stories of soldiers sharing candy with the Iraqi kids- just a small gesture that bring those kids that are enduring soo much, just a little bit of joy. I am glad (and my kids are excited!)that they can help, if even in a small minuscule way.

The whole way home, Saroya just kept repeating "I can't believe I have seven dollars!!"

Ethan was just as stunned when he found out about the money they had earned, and together they decided that we would use the money to see "High School Musical 3". I found a "twilight" showing that was only $4.50 a ticket, so they used what money they had, and we had a deal!

What a HIT! I wish I could have taken a picture of the kids faces while they were watching it. Perma-smiles all around. Clapping, singing and happiness... except this part... :)


I don't know what the best part of the experience of this day was, but I can't tell you what a big relief it is to not have that candy around. I don't have to hear "can I have a piece of candy" all day long for the next two months, I don't have to find Miss J huddled in the back of the closet in a mound of candy wrappers, and I won't be sneaking a treat as I walk by the stash. It is just a good feeling all around, and I encourage you to find out if a dentist in your area might offer this service next year. It is totally worth it!!

5 comments:

Beth Soelberg said...

I think we'll be doing that next year. At the very least, I'm emptying out these "pumpkin buckets" and putting the candy in a very high, hard-to-reach place!

I especially like that the dentist is sending that candy to Iraq. Very cool.

Nikki said...

Once again- you are a lucky girl. i wish I could get rid of the candy. I have a really hard time resisting- and I've been grazing out of their bags all weekend. Not good.
I'm glad you got to see HSM3. Good movie & what a good price at the movies!

Sunny said...

That's great that your kids are willing to do that. I never would have...in fact it would make me a little sad if they did. But luckily Hyrum has every bit the sweet tooth as I have and doesn't know where the candy bag is and doesn't know how to ask for a piece but maybe that's why he's screaming so much! :)

John L and Lorraine said...

I am definitely going to ask Dr. Klomp if he would do that. That is such a COOL idea!!
Love you all so much!!!

Caity said...

I just love that idea! I'm not going to be trick-or-treating next year, but if I were, I would be so in! :)