Sunday, November 11, 2007

Cleanin' Up

Hey! It's fall ya'll. I love fall, as most people do. I also love that our yard is really big and has lots of good shade trees for the summer months. However, big yard + shade trees + fall = LOTS of work in the yard. We usually do it in sections, because it is so much. With Nathan being so busy with school, the kids and I set out to make a dent.

This is the section we decided to start with...
After raking, and using the leaf blower, we got a big pile. When you have been working so hard, you usually need to take a rest. We did that by jumping into the pile and laying there for a while until the wind blew the leafs over our faces...
Ethan and Saroya always think of new and exciting ways to do this tedious job. Last year, Ethan pulled Saroya around in the wagon while Saroya drug a rake to pick up the leaves. It didn't seem to be too productive so it didn't last long. I thought it was cute though. This year they tied a tarp to the back of Ethan's 4 wheeler and filled it up with leaves. Then they used bungie cords to hold up the sides and keep the leaves in. It actually worked really good. While they took the leaves back to the woods behind our house, I raked up some more leaves and got another pile ready. By the time we were done with that one section, it was dark and we still needed to eat (and make) dinner and take baths. It took a long time and it was hard work, but we had so much fun. I went out eary the next morning to get a shot of what the yard looks like clean, so I can remember it in 3 days when there will be tons more leaves to be raked up...

6 comments:

Nikki said...

That the only reason I'm glad to not have any big trees. You're kids are very creative and productive!

Sunny said...

You know you're going to think I'm crazy but I SOOOO missed raking leaves this year. Maybe it's because I wanted to toss Hy into a pile and see what he'd do but I also just remember doing it for family home evening together as a family and it was a really sweet memory. What incredible memories your kids will have. I want to come help next time.

Holly said...

Come on down Sun!! We can use all the help. It really is fun though. We haven't had a time yet where the kids were bummed that we needed to do it. I have good memories of the old house & raking too.. :)

Salem said...

I love so much that your kids are learning to work hard...and have fun creating memories at the same time...do you know how many kids were probably sitting inside eating chips and playing video games while you were out having fun with your kids...and being productive??!! I hope I can do the same with Ryder.

Leanne said...

Looks like a ton of fun. Glad to see you got them all up before that big wind storm!

Caity said...

What a fun tradition! You always are having so much fun as a family. It's a great example!